Author Topic: yew sapwood???  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Dazv

yew sapwood???
« on: February 15, 2013, 04:17:04 pm »
hi guys!!!

I'm working on a yew selfbow which has some high crown spots on the back. I think i can remove these spots with my drawknife without going into the heartwood, Is it OK to violate growth rings on yew sapwood???

Thanks so much.

Darren :)

Offline autologus

Re: yew sapwood???
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 04:30:23 pm »
I have never worked Yew but from what I have read I believe you can but I believe you still need a decent amount of sapwood for the back or you will incur a tension weak area and run the risk of having a tension failure.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 04:32:39 pm »
I would leave it alone. But as long as the violations aren't too drastic, then you should be alright.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:51:48 pm »
Yew is one of those woods you seem to be able to "bend" the rules but not "break" em.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:17:27 pm »
The general aim to try an follow a ring, but there may be areas where you need to violate rings. Try to make the violations rul along the length of the bow or at an oblique angle.
It's more important to try to keep a reasonable layer of sapwood say 4 - 5mm all over. Bear in mind the heart/sap boundary doesn't always follow a ring and can shift over the width of a bow. I had one ELB I named ridgeback as it had a streak of heartwood showing up the back at one point, it turned into a fine bow.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/weird-heartsap-boundary-emails.html
It's sudden changes or breaks in the sapwood going across the bow that spell trouble , or big knots that don't stand a bit proud.
The attached pic shows the back of my big old Yew ELB, you can see the heartwood dips down. If I followed a sap wood ring I'd have ended  up with no heart wood. the solution was to reduce the thickness of the sapwood. You can see I've gone down through about 8 rings, pretty much right across the bow... conventional wisdow would say the sky would fall in... it didn't. But you can see I've kept a good layer of sapwood.
I'd say ideally you want about twice as much heart as sap, but one to one is ok. What you don't want is a gap in the sapwood or a really thin patch.
OK that's an extreme example, but those two examples give a fair idea of what you can live with.
I'm sure you wouldn't get away with violations like that on Osage!
Hope that sets your mind at reat.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 06:28:39 pm »
No, that is not OK to do. Why would you? Because you don't like the spots with high crown? Yew is outstanding in tension, and can handle a high crown like no other wood can. You need to leave that back alone and accept high crown and undulations. Yes, yew can withstand some minor grain violations on the back, but there is no purpose in deliberately adding them to a bow's back.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 08:55:38 pm »
You should always endevor to make the belly follow the contours of the back as closely as practical. Doing the reverse is asking for trouble - even with yew.
Gordon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 04:31:36 am »
I think Gordon sums it up nicely.
Why would you want to remove the character from a stave anyway?
Here's a sneak peek at my latest ELB (for a left hander).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 04:21:39 pm »
Great thanks a lot for all of the advice and time you guys took to help me out.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 05:47:23 pm »
I think Gordon sums it up nicely.
Why would you want to remove the character from a stave anyway?
Here's a sneak peek at my latest ELB (for a left hander).
Del

Dont be hiding her Dell lets have it...