Author Topic: How thick can a bundle of sinew be?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline DuBois

How thick can a bundle of sinew be?
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:29:43 am »
If I want to build a little thickness in an area allong the bow can I use thicker bundles or do I need to do thin layers until built up?
If they are thick enough to sort of smush up against each others sides are they too thick???
Would that create a seam to crack later?
Total new guy to sinew backing.
Thanks for any help.
Marco D.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: How thick can a bundle of sinew be?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:22:00 am »
There isnt any reason to build thickness up in one area and not the whole back, no that I can come up with anyway.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:40:52 am »
When chasing a growth ring, often times there will be a "valley" in the stave that you need a curved scraper to dig out.  After the stave is shaped and once its ready for sinew,  I often fill these valleys to level out the back surface of the bow primarily for asthetics.  I'll do these first before laying my first layer of sinew.  It also helps when applying a snake skin atop of the sinew, lessening the chances for air bubbles under the skin.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 11:57:49 am »
Sinew is pretty forgiving so it doesn't matter too much how you apply it in a small area.  Large areas require more careful placement.

If you are using good quality hide glue, the thickness won't matter and there's not much danger of cracking later.  I've seen cracks develop, however, in really thick sinew while drying.  Wrapping the sinew with an ace bandage while it's drying will solve this problem.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:55:18 pm »
Thanks for the free lessons everybody.

Sinew is pretty forgiving so it doesn't matter too much how you apply it in a small area.  Large areas require more careful placement.

If you are using good quality hide glue, the thickness won't matter and there's not much danger of cracking later.  I've seen cracks develop, however, in really thick sinew while drying.  Wrapping the sinew with an ace bandage while it's drying will solve this problem.

If I do get a crack, should I ignore it, or fill it later, or sooner?

There isnt any reason to build thickness up in one area and not the whole back, no that I can come up with anyway.

PD, I was thinking I could build up allong the sides of the middle row and cause a little less crown on this shagbark sappling that is 60" with a flat belly, and create more working neutral plane. Would having a more flat back be beneficial??

Once again, thanks folks. All of you guys knowledge has been amazing to read through over the last year.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »
Oh yeah, PD,
I forgot to mention that I decided to sinew this cause you told me about your fist bow you upgraded with sinew that was hickory. I had bween looking at this a while and not sure what to do with it. Thanks for the inspiration man!
And I love that buckthorn bow you did.
I have a 49" stave ready to sinew next that is rhamnus catharta and it was awesome to work on so far.
Again, you inspire me.