Author Topic: bottom limb juniper  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Newindian

bottom limb juniper
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:48:50 pm »
Went out and cut some Forrest cured juniper, and came across a piece from the bottom of a branch that was to good to pass up. Right now it's all heart wood, in a west coast design that I plan on sinew backing.  Any way my question is what makes the lower section of a limb undesirable, and will I notice it?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:08:11 pm by Newindian »
I like free stuff.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: bottom limb juniper
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:34:28 am »
Conifers (juniper is a conifer, as is yew) form compression wood  as reaction wood when a limb/trunk is growing at an angle. The lower side of the branch will form compression wood, while the upper side is under tension. However, tension wood forms in angiosperms (hardwoods) and not in conifers. The compression wood formed in the lower side of a juniper branch is very good in compression, better than wood from a straight trunk. I am not sure how compression wood will do when put under tension, as compared to 'normal' straight wood. But compression wood from the branch should do VERY well when it is sinew backed. Better than normal wood that is not reaction wood, according to the theory. So in my opinion, it is by no means undesirable and you will notice a better performance.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline juniper junkie

Re: bottom limb juniper
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:19:04 pm »
use the compression side of the limb for the back. when you split the limb, the tension side sometimes takes on reflex. I have been bandsawing a limb on yew and juniper and had them pop before the cut is through. keep us posted with pics of your progress.