Author Topic: anyone wanna sell me some rivercane?  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

anyone wanna sell me some rivercane?
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:52:37 pm »
Hey guys I'm up in Michigan and we aren't fortunate to have river cane this far north so I was wondering if one of you southern boys would like to sell me some?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: anyone wanna sell me some rivercane?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:57:03 pm »
There's probably lots of guys willing to sell you some cane, but we normally keep the money talk in private messages.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Scottski

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:57:15 am »
Cane is one thing I can get around here. Lots of it what are you looking for and what do you have to trade for it?
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:25:17 pm »
well I could trade some trade points I don't have a whole lot else I can think of off the top of my head

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:28:02 pm »
If you are coming to the Tenn Classic, or know of someone that is, I can get you some Japanese Arrow Bamboo and would have it there waiting on you.  Just a suggestion.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:14:30 pm »
Thanks Stringstretcher but I don't think I can make it down there. I wish!

Offline Scottski

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:55:04 pm »
What are you wanting?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:41 am »
     Scotski;
     check your local nurseries, and see if they carry bamboo, and see if the have any Japanese arrow bamboo, or anything similar.  You might be able to get cuttings from them, when they trim them back.  You want second year growth, with either dead or no sheaths on them.  You can use a 3/8's inch wrench to measure the base.
If you don't have any luck in that route, go to Lowes, or Home depot, and go to the garden section, and get their bamboo tomato stakes.  Or send a pm to Mullet, Eddie Parker, and get the address of the Place in Lakeland, Florida, that sells bundles of five hundred arrow bamboo.  They can even size them for you.  I think it is like $75.00 per five hundred, plus shipping.  I am going to go there when I get back to Florida, in mid April, and get a bundle.  But try your local Nurseries, you can call them and ask if they have any arrow type bamboo, (bambusa Japonica) and if they have any cuttings, etc.  Or if they do, just buy a couple of plants, and plant them away from your house, cause being like any bamboo, they grow well, and fast.  In a couple of years, you will have all the arrow bamboo you will need.  Plus trading, or marketing material for other Primitive archers in your area. ;)  Just an idea.  You can get someone else to go in with you to order the bundle of five hundred.  Eddie, can send you the address, and info.

Wayne

Offline Scottski

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 06:22:11 am »
Ok thanks for the info. Was that ment for me or someone else? I go a few miles down the road and cut my own cane most of the time. I was trying to help out Lee.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 01:11:43 pm »
Yeah Scottski I think me. Some good ideas there. I like to cut my own red osier and dogwood but want to get ahold of some cane. I like the idea of growing my own. Will it grow in Mi?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 08:19:34 pm »
Accuatly it is about $50 plus shipping for 4'x 8-10mm Tonkin Bamboo. This stuff is bullet proof and you can sand the nodes down completely, it looks like a carbon when you are through.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:27:40 pm »
what would I ask for at the nursery? Japanese arrow bamboo plants? or is there another name it goes by?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 04:57:09 am »

Ooooops!!! :o  Yeah, it was meant for lee.  I think Japanese arrow bamboo is called "Bambusa Japonica", or something like that.  Pat B would be the man ask about that.  Just ask if they have any Japanese arrow bamboo, or Tonkin bamboo, and tell them what you want it for, then even if they know it by another name, they will get the general idea, and if they have any boo that fits that description, then you can check it out.  Yeah, get with some others who want to make their own arrows, and get the info from Mullet, and order a batch of five hundred.  Sorry, about the price, I guess the $75.00 was the total of shipping included.  Or it might be more, depending on where you are.  Or...... just order it for yourself, and you will have all the arrow shaft material you need, for quite awhile, or trade material.  ;) Not to mention tomato stakes, material for making fish traps, ........ ::)  ;D, and errant child training aides.   ::) :P ;D ;D  Anyway, that stuff is GREAT!  Like Eddie said when you finish it, it looks like carbon, and shoots like it, and is almost indestructible, as an arrow.  It will take a lot of punishment!   8)  After I sand it down after I have finished straightening it, and putting in the nock, I just stick a small nail, or bamboo skewer, or dowel, in one end, and tie a string to it, and hang it up, and use a can of spray lacquer on it, and it dries pretty quick, and then I lightly sand it, with 0000 steel wool, and put another coat on it, and when that dries, I repeat the 0000 steel wool, but very lightly, and it is ready for fletching, and a point. ;)  You can stain it, if you want, before spraying it with the lacquer.  Like I said, when I go back to Florida, and I am going to go over to Lakeland, and try to get Eddie to take me to the place where they sell it, and get the guy to sort them for me.  I will bring them back out here.  He has dealt with them before, and the guy knows what he wants them for.
     Good luck with whatever you decide.  But I think once you make a couple arrows out of the Tonkin, you will be hooked! ;)

Wayne

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 04:54:02 pm »
Lee   Tennessee is the place you ought to be  !! >:D
a few folks from that state up north will be there maybe they would drag some back for you ! Pearl drums or Matt Wirwikki ,and Gary Davis ,most likely others !!
Or come to Marshall Mi. memorial weekend and ask around ,last year I saw a couple of arm loads get given away so they had room to haul other stuff home !!!I think we even burned some when cleaning up after !
Hope to see ya around !!
Guy

Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 12:48:44 pm »
Lee how much are looking for I have about 25 dozen in my grage pm me I live in perry mi.
Old timber bows