Author Topic: 2012 Red Oak Board Bow Trade  (Read 52279 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: 2012 Red Oak Board Bow Trade
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »
Bubby, that's what I said until I actually attempted to make a bow from a red oak board.  haha  Well, most of my mistakes were trying to take advantage of dimensional lumber to speed up the process, especially when it came to reducing the belly with power tools.  haha  Anyhow, I think it I made a few more I could get the process down to well under 10 hours. 

Bubby, btw, what kind of blade to you use on your table saw for cutting out the excess belly wood?  I used a ripping blade and it left a lot of tool marks to sand out.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline bubby

« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2013, 08:09:52 pm »
hedge I use one with lots of teeth and a thin kerf, more teeth=less marks, I haven't used the tablesaw for quite a while, just been using my bandsaw and farriers rasp, even on the two I built last Thursday
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2013, 11:35:20 pm »
I made my trade 2 1/2 wide.  I really thought about using the bandsaw, but was afraid of were the bottom part of the blade was cutting.  I'm still learning the finer points of bandsawing.  :)  I probably could have angled the board like I do when laying out a stave bow, then rasp the ridge.  I might try that the next time.  I was just out of time and materials to try something else new.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2013, 11:11:49 pm »
Ok, so, I know it's crazy late, but I put my trade bow in the mail today. I apologize to the recipient!! It should be there friday. I tillered it to 28", but my draw is only 26". I hope he likes it. Again, sorry it's late.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2013, 01:35:45 am »
I didn't like the pain job I put on the bow.  So, I sanded it and started over.  I'm happy with my cave man drawings now.  I just need to sign and put another coat of poly on it.  I'm heading to the Classic first thing in the morning.  So it will be next week before it's shipped.  Oh, I've got to make a string for it, also.  I'll do that at the classic.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2013, 12:42:54 pm »
OK, when I got home last night, there was a long PVC tube at my door!!!  It was from Oregon.  I've yet to open it, ...but I am itching to do so!  I still haven't gotten my trade bow shipped out, so I feel like I need to finish my work before I start my play.   :-[ :-[ :-[

I'll post pix as soon as I'm 'allowed' to open my new toy...

OneBow

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2013, 03:10:27 pm »
Tattoo Dave,

Received your (or is it my?) bow today! Fantastic! Great paint job and you went all out including a nock button and silencers!

I was on my way out when it arrived and only got to string it. I'll post some pics and give it it's own thread when I get home. Oh, and I'll shoot it too!

Tell me about the matching arrows. What are the shafts made of? And the arrowheads as well. The arrows are beautiful.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Matt
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2013, 07:42:51 pm »
Hey Matt, Glad ya like it! The arrows are bamboo, just steel trade points. My draw is 26", so it was shot in at that draw, let me know if anything goes south with it, and I'll send ya another.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2013, 10:59:55 pm »
I'm officially jealous after looking through some of these pics. Seriously, a lot of talent here, guys!

Quick question; about how much set do you guys get with your red oak bows? I've been averaging about 1.5"-2" when just unbraced with a 70 or 72" long bow. My next one is going to be 68" ntn, so I was wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong?
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2013, 12:52:38 am »
Shiloh, I'm no expert on red oak board bows by any stretch of the imagination.  This is what I did and it seemed to work. I heated in about 2" of recurve and I heat tempered it 3 or 4 times during the tillering process.  Work slowly, fix problems as  you see them.

Prep time and funds went to the classic last week.  The bow will be sent this week, I promise.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2013, 12:44:50 am »
Well, I was going to send the bow out today, but while taking pictures of it yesterday, I realized I still hadn't glued on an arrow rest or strike plate, or made a new string for it.  Anyhow here's the pic
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2013, 12:50:57 am »
I hope my caveman art work isn't  too corny.  The half and hunter on each limb is suppose to representing "hunting sunrise to sunset"
I forgot to take a braced picture, sorry.  The fd pic is only 26".  I deleted the longer draw pic from the camera by accident.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline autologus

« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2013, 01:49:43 am »
Very nice Hedge, how many still have not received a bow.  We need to hurry up and get them finished and sent out it is past the deadline.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2013, 01:53:17 am »
I've talked to the guy I'm supposed to finish one for, we are sorted out so everything is alright, ill be doing my best to finish one up in a week or two, well see.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2013, 02:58:05 am »
I think it is a good idea that everyone that hasn't sent a bow contact the person you are building for. Seems as tho this trade is falling by the wayside which is disappointing. I'm with you grady I haven't received one either.