Author Topic: anyone wanna sell me some rivercane?  (Read 4106 times)

Offline bhenders

Re: anyone wanna sell me some rivercane?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 04:51:21 pm »
Yeah Scottski I think me. Some good ideas there. I like to cut my own red osier and dogwood but want to get ahold of some cane. I like the idea of growing my own. Will it grow in Mi?

It does grow in Michigan.  I've got a small grove in from of my screen porch in Lansing.  It's one of the 'runner' bamboos.  It is top hardy in Michigan to about 10 degrees or so.  This Feb has been rough on the standing canes (they are evergreen if it doesn't get too cold).  Full height is about 6 to 8 feet but I'm not sure it will get that tall in Michigan.  Clums may lose their leaves in very cold weather but will re-leaf in the spring.  Clums live about three years and then die.

Mine has been in the same place for four years now and finally put up some clums last year that are big enough for arrows.    Japanese Arrow Bamboo (PSEUDOSASA JAPONICA ) is a long node, non-branching bamboo that is hollow and lightweight.  Cut clums in their second year (so that there is more silica in the walls).   The long nodes are nice and there are no branches to take off of the clum (that's where the leaves attach ).  This will be the first year I'll be able to use my homegrown Japonica for arrows.

That said, I got 500 4' bamboo stakes ( 5/8") from Ben Meadows in Wisconsin a couple of years ago and have been using them for arrows.  They are heavier than arrow bamboo but still make great arrows.  They are the same bamboo as sold by the place in Florida.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:15:34 pm by bhenders »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 08:05:09 pm »

The place in Lake Land, Florida, has the bundles of 500, and I believe it is all Tonkin, which has thicker walls than the Japanese arrow boo.  It is much tougher. ;)
     So that could be why it is heavier.  Good for you and your natural supply of arrow shafts! ;) ;D 8) 8) Well it looks , like your search has been rewarded, Lee. ;) ;D   Maybe you can get some root stock, and start your own supply also. ;)
                                                          Wayne

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 08:13:32 pm »
Accuatly it is about $50 plus shipping for 4'x 8-10mm Tonkin Bamboo. This stuff is bullet proof and you can sand the nodes down completely, it looks like a carbon when you are through.

Could you post the address up for us? Or pm me with it?  Thanx.
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!