Author Topic: ERC Bow  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Sasquatch

ERC Bow
« on: February 25, 2013, 12:04:52 am »
This is like my 5th bow and my first ERC i chose the worst stave I had. It was so thin on one end that i had to do my first inlay( It sucks I know).  Thats why there is a hinge in the upper limb near tip and it is so light.  I backed it with a peice of fabric that i found at my school.  The fabric is some type of canvas.  Specs:  35#@26, 20oz, B50.   Thanks

Offline Sasquatch

Re: ERC Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:08:32 am »
There are tear out marks on belly, i didn't want to take any more wood off.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:50:58 am »
That ERC can be a challenge!  Looks like it turned out ok even with the light weight and inlay.  I just finished up one and it has turned out to be one of my best shooting bows so far.  I added sinew and that really made the bow snappier.  I have some more ERC drying and looking forward to working with it again.

Yours looks about like mine in that it ended up being mostly sapwood.  Wonder if a guy could work it down so that you could get more of the colored heart wood?

According to your shirt and your comment to school you must teach science?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:34:26 am »
You guessed correctly, middle school Science. Its great, i even get to teach the archery class in school. :)   I wasn't to concerned with this bow.  Once i saw that it was going to need the inlay, i didn't want to waist the sinew.  Ill save that for one of the better staves.  You could remove most of the sap wood, but i heard that it does not make much difference other than cosmetics.  However on the next one i will do just that and see for my self.  This bow does not shoot very fast.  Next bow will have thinner tips. Thanks for the comment 

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:42:07 am »
Looks pretty nice! That was a clever fix with the inlay. Most of my ercs have been heartwood because I cant bring myself cut it off it's just too beautiful. I haven't noticed a difference in heart or sapwood performance wise. Wonderful wood to work with though!
SW Utah

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 02:52:04 am »
  Beautiful handle! Nice job...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 08:48:11 am »
Nice save,looks good to me.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline raghorns

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:14:18 am »
Yes indeed, very nice....wish I'd had a teacher like you way back when.
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 10:23:59 am »
looks pretty cool.  Cedar can be a mean ol...girl . looks like you done good by it
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:35:20 am »
Thanks Everybody! Yall are a great audience.  raghorn its this is the time when the teacher becomes the student again.   I'll make something a little better soon. I finished this bow last weekend and i finished another Osage this weekend. I'll post pics some time today. :)

Offline autologus

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 11:41:22 am »
I really like it, I love ERC.  I cut me some last week, now I just have to wait till it cures.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.