Author Topic: Update on my first bow  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
Update on my first bow
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:32 am »
Alright well ive got the wood down to size and have floor tillered it some it is not fully finished floor tillering but its getting there.

heres what it looks so far

btw go bucs!  :laugh:

heres the sides

So tell me what you guys think so far. Also I need help with making the knocks how far in do I make them one inch? could someone help with that? thanks. Also I idk what to do for string there seems not to be anything in my woods here in Florida to make a bow string with should I not go primitive with the bowstring? Any and all help is appreciated

Thanks,
Jacob  :D
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline seminolewind

Re: Update on my first bow
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:19:15 am »
Go Bucs !!! nice slipers  !!! ;D  you can make the nocks out as close to the tips as you want within reason of course. The string only puts pressure on the inward portion of the limb. Keep us posted on the tillering...
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:26:44 am »
Here's my two cents... First off, I thought you were barefoot Jake, why are you wearing slippers!?!?  :o ;)

To me it seems that there are some obvious thick spots and thin spots. That would leave me to believe that you will have flat spots and hinges once you get it bending more. try running your fingers along the limb feeling for places where it gets think and then take a little wood off there until it feels like a smooth, even transition from fade to tip. That will get you started off on the right foot.

I cut my nocks 1" in  but like seminolewind said, they can be further out toward the tip if you need to squeeze out every last inch of working limb it will just limit your options for shaping your tips.

My other advice is to get some synthetic string material for now. I use and recommend fast flight. I would get some successful bows under your belt and get some shooting in before I tackled natural strings. Consider it another skillset and another project to take on a little down the road. Good luck with your bow and keep us updated.

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:53:18 pm »
Have you read the build alongs here yet Jacob? what are your measurments so far width & thickness from handle to tips? is this the same stave we talk about before? How long since you cut this one? You get there, just don't rush yet. As I told you before, I home most days and have the string material here. Let me know.
                                                                              Graylan

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 05:57:32 pm »
Have you read the build alongs here yet Jacob? what are your measurments so far width & thickness from handle to tips? is this the same stave we talk about before? How long since you cut this one? You get there, just don't rush yet. As I told you before, I home most days and have the string material here. Let me know.
                                                                              Graylan

Hey Graylan, This is the same stave ive put some more time into it, the measurments for the width are what you give me but i do not know what the thickness is.
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:08:37 pm »
Like Weylin said...slow easy taper with no bumps or dips.Taper is life to a bow.You'll get there.You ask for pointers but you have to have measurements.It's hard to just look at a roughed out bow picture on this and help.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed