Author Topic: What is this telling me?(Updated pictures coming up)  (Read 7952 times)

Offline Roy

Re: What is this telling me?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 04:47:36 pm »
I agree Blackhawk, Osage is 10 times better than Yew. But only if it's 10 year old well seasoned Osage:) :laugh: >:D

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: What is this telling me?(Updated pictures coming up)
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 06:41:31 pm »
Ok....I guess you can say I am just full of it or what ever, but something is definitely different on this piece of wood guys and girls.  I put it back on the form, but reversed it end for end just because.  I clamped the handle down good and tight, lots of pressure.  I heated the limb in short sections at a time and worked my way out to the tip.  And I got it HOT.  I mean HOT.  Here is the limb clamped down under pressure.

This is how the limb came back after taking the clamp off.  I took about 1" of the reflex, that is all.  Still almost perfectly straight except for the last 3 or 4 inches.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 06:45:20 pm »
Did I get it hot enough, I kind of think so from looking at these, and by the way it felt as I was doing it.

And as you can see.  Almost no reflex at all.

Here is the opposite limb just laid back on the curl.  Almost perfect.

Totally baffling to say the least.  But anyway.  I am going to see about getting it tillered out and see what happens.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2013, 06:56:16 pm »
Like Ive been saying along.....BURN IT Chuck! BURN IT!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2013, 06:59:06 pm »
I did, I did, I did....lol

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2013, 07:13:03 pm »
Just thinking out loud here, but it seems to me that the handle is holding the limb from bending as much as the other limb by the way the stave is it self.  Maybe a wedge under the fade and back towards the cent of the handle would let the limb come over more.....like I said just thinking out loud. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 08:12:08 am »
Yup, now you thinking outside the box. If it wont bend and stay, shim it and over bend it farther. You may want to let this one suck moisture for a day or so. I bet its getting tired by now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 08:21:45 am »
Thanks Pearl.  Yeah, this one is getting the silent treatment for a while....cause I am tired of taking to (at) it :D

blackhawk

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 08:27:05 am »
This is one of those times where I totally detest the forums.....its so hard to try and explain everything in proper detail,and great length,and I can't see over your shoulder as to what exactly your doing.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 08:34:05 am »
No problem at all Chris.  And thanks again to every one for their comments and suggestions.  Hey it's a learning curve.  We all have to go through it at some point.  No one gets it right the first time and every time.  I will set it aside, walk away from it for a while, and some day pick it back up again.  Nothing is a loss if you learn something ;) ;)

Offline Roy

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 11:43:27 am »
I don't think you are bending it far enough ole boy:)

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 11:46:23 am »
It will be Roy, the next big old oak I find to wrap it around >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Roy

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 11:53:58 am »
LOL now calm down Charlie:) I also think your problem is right at the fade outside the handle, I would put spacers behind the handle and just heat that area and get her bent there first. Here is Blackhawks form and my yew bow when we reflexed the tips. Ya see where we had plenty more room to bend it if we needed too?

blackhawk

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2013, 12:13:03 pm »
That form is about toast...its seen a lot of hot action the last few years >:D  :laugh:

Offline Roy

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2013, 12:22:02 pm »
I don't care! I have a new one exactly like it... :) ;)