Author Topic: Are these maple?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Are these maple?
« on: February 13, 2013, 03:45:52 pm »
So I think at least a few of these are maple of some kind. I think they're either sugar, red or silver maple but I can't be sure without the leaves. Some of them I am more confident about than others, but I'm not certain about any of them. I want to tap them for maple syrup, so if you guys could confirm if they are any of those species that would be great. I only have pics of the bark, but I can try to get different pics if you guys need them. They're only a couple minutes walk from my doorway.

Here is tree #1

Tree #2

Tree #3

Tree #4

TREE #5

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Are these maple?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:03:26 pm »
It's possible.  Need leaves to tell for sure though.  Down here in Florida the maples' leaves turn bright red and yellow when the weather starts acting like Fall.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:08:49 pm »
The more pics I look at, the more I think that they're either silver or red maple, but I just don't know.

Edit: Okay I did some digging around in the snow, and I did manage to find dead leaves on the ground in the vicinity. There are both red and silver maple leaves on the ground in abundance and a handful of sugar maple ones too, but I can't say for sure which trees they came from or if they simply blew in.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:15:08 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 04:24:37 pm »
The sugar maples around here have a scally bark and the reds have smooth bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:23:00 pm »
I dont believe those are hard/sugar maples. Probably red or silver, neither are good bow wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:24:17 pm »
Well, I think I might tap them anyway, just to see. I am pretty sure they are maples.

Would there be a way I could tell by the color or taste of the sap? Or would I just have to boil it down and see if it tastes like maple syrup?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:40:00 pm »
You can tap birch trees too I believe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:37:46 pm »
Ive been told you can make syrup from almost any tree sap. Just something I heard.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline chigger

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:13:49 pm »
The top pic and the bottom two are Silver ,the third is a Maple and may be a Sugar ,the others I can't tell ..This might help.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 07:45:32 pm »
It's possible.  Need leaves to tell for sure though.  Down here in Florida the maples' leaves turn bright red and yellow when the weather starts acting like Fall.

Well ther e would not any leaves on the Tree if it was maple, would have to dig under the snow to identify.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline trad bow

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:20 pm »
I don't know for sure but that white stuff sure looks like our river sand down here. ;D :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 09:40:26 pm »
I just looked at your location. Dang what a small world. I hunted with Don Hebert in 2003, I bleieve it was in Moncton or St Anne De Kent? I have covered the western provinces and yours is thee best without question. I love New Brunswick.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 09:48:32 pm »
You can tell the difference between Red and Sugar Maple by the leaf bud, Sugar is pointy and red rounded.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 09:49:11 pm »
The smaller ones look like silver maple. Not sure about the other ones. Read somewhere once that box elder has the same sugar content as sugar maple( around 7%) most other maples around 2-3%.
Steve Bennett

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 09:51:12 pm »
I just looked at your location. Dang what a small world. I hunted with Don Hebert in 2003, I bleieve it was in Moncton or St Anne De Kent? I have covered the western provinces and yours is thee best without question. I love New Brunswick.

Yeah I live about an hour and twenty minutes from Moncton. Its a pretty great place to live, and a decent place to hunt. The deer population has taken a licking over the past few winters but the moose and black bear are all over the place.