Author Topic: Where to start reflex on a caul.  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Where to start reflex on a caul.
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:55:24 am »
Where do you guys like to start the reflex on a caul. Example: if I want to induce 2" of reflex. When I draw my lines to be cut on the caul to establish the limbs reflex profile, where is a good spot to start the reflex? Right out of the fades, a couple inches out of the fades, or half way?    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Where to start reflex on a caul.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:14:30 pm »
A pinch at the fades and most mid limb and out, thats where set happens in a properly tillered bow. These are my opinions anywho.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:40:07 pm »
Yup..I like the apex of my reflex thru the mid working limbs where most of the set occurs in a properly tillered bow.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:17 pm »
Ok thats what I was thinking. Let me tell you how I'm thinking of doing this next one and you tell me if you think its a good idea. Both you guys build great bows so I respect your opinions.

Overall my goal is induce 2" refelx on a 62" bow. I would start the reflex at bottom of the fade and take it to about a 1/2" to about mid limb and then the last 1 1/2" from there to the tips. Does that sound about right?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:43:01 pm »
Sounds pretty good to me. I use drywall screws and an aluminum yardstick to get my arcs even. Put a screw in dead center and just go from there by flexing the stick, Im sure it will make perfect sense when you start in. 3" may be a better idea if you want a straight bow, or slightly reflexed when your done shooting it in. Short bows eat up more reflex than longer bows usually.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:51:00 pm »
Sure that'll work...do what ya want and what ya think looks good....trace out some lines and have a looksy before ya cut it out...if ya don't like it erase it and alter it to your liking....and id prob go 3"overall at least as well because you also get a lil bounce back when unclamping some woods

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:22:28 pm »
Thanks guys.   Danny