Author Topic: I need a little help plz...  (Read 3929 times)

Offline akila

I need a little help plz...
« on: October 22, 2007, 03:26:37 pm »
Hello ...im trying to chase a ring on a ash stave....and i need to know iff this is the right ring ,or i need to gow 1 mm more down.Its the second ring that im trying to go to,and im not sure iff this is the right colore of the second ring...shouldn it be a little witer???

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: I need a little help plz...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:42:04 pm »
Looks good to me.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

a finnish native

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 06:35:03 pm »
yeah, no worries there. just scrape the back to 1 ring and you should be fine. in ash the area between two rings is darker than the ring it's self.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:17:05 pm »
Hi,
Do you see the darker wood? That's your ring. Scrape away all the lighter colored wood, and you're away!

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 05:19:48 pm »
most of the picture looks like one good ring .You can look at the rings on each side of the stave to help you .You are trying to get one continues ring (layer) from each side and over the back.

However there is a spot in the upper part of the picture that looks like you either went through to the next layer, or left it a layer high. It's hard to tell from the picture.

I'm reposting your picture with the spot I'm talking about circled.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:45:08 pm »
Hard to tell from that picture. If you look at the end grain you will see the different rings. What you want is just below the first porous ring. Why did you chase a ring in the first place?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Trapper

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 07:08:59 pm »
Mark why wouldnt you chase a ring on it?  Joe

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 09:07:09 pm »
I've never chased a ring on ash, take off the bark scrape away the crystalline stuff and theres your back

Offline white wood

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 09:30:46 pm »
diddo to what VB said. i always take the bark, then the light brown cambium layer and thats all for the back. if im not mistaking, the lighter wood is the more spongy for ash, therefore you would be better off removing down to the darker looking wood. on a couple of "piggy back" staves ive worked on of ash i left some spots  of the "spongy" ring because when you apply a  stain, it gives you darker spots on the back almost like a camo effect. im referring the rings as spongy only because i cant remember if its the early growth rings or late rings. hope i was of some help! -white wood
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline akila

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 10:32:09 pm »
Hy guys..i go to the next ring becose the first ring wass to thinn and it wass seald with something and i had to take him off....i have finish the bow..i will put some picture later on whenn its finish more well.It wass a triky one, and its a light bow for my wife.Its not verry good tillerd but you will see it in the pictures.It wass a strange stave this one and one limb it bends a little more thenn the other.I will put pictures tomorow becose now its 4am in the morning  so i go to sleep ...bye all and thks a lot.