Author Topic: Bow draw & weight  (Read 1840 times)

Offline bow101

Bow draw & weight
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:30:06 pm »
If most of us build bows that are tillered to 50# @28, then is it really necessary to pull to say 28" and hit the Squirrel or other small game.
My arguement is why so much force, after all the Squirrel is only @ 10 yards.  Why not draw to 26" or 24"..?

Signed,
"Bow Hunting Virgin"
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Bow draw & weight
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:34:17 pm »
I would have to say "no" it isn't necessary, that's why many of the native american bows were shorter, lighter, and drew much less than 28". The size of the game, the armour of the enemy, or  the distance of the target pretty much dictate bow and arrow dimensions.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:43:33 pm »
Consistency would be my guess, drawing to your anchor at 28" or any other number gives you consistent accurate info to put into the brains aiming system. I suppose if you practiced enough at various draw lengths you could develop some accuracy

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:36:15 am »
It works fine when I squirrel hunt if its close. I shot one 2 weeks ago when he ran up the side of the tree and stopped, his bad. quick part draw. target point didn't even pentrate, squirrel hit the ground, my heeler finished the job.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:31:49 am »
You full draw your bow and use what it produces for the same reason you dont dump half the powder out of a shotgun shell to kill a rabbit and leave it full to kill a deer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:37:49 am »
I never build bow at a given weight at 28,if for me it's a given weight at 26.No need but like Lemos said you need to be consistent on your anchor to be accurate.
probably 30lbs at 20inches  would kill a squirrel if you can shoot accurate with it. :)
The only time I build a bow at 28 is if I am building it for someone else that draws that.  :) I think the 28 thing comes from AMO on custom or mass produced bows
not something I worry about.  ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good