Author Topic: Sinewed maple bow in trouble but saved going on 2000 arrows through...pics added  (Read 6439 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Sinewed maple bow in trouble
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 06:19:49 pm »
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.It is a committment that's for sure.I guess in the words of a friend of mine who's time consuming well thought out effort on a bow that failed was......If it's destined to be a bow it will if not it won't.In my case I've done something similar so I'm hoping the destiny is in my favor for success.I'm not gonna put a finish on it till 500 full drawn arrows are shot through it.That is if it ever quits snowing here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DuBois

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 09:11:06 am »
Man, I want to see pictures so my brain can wrap around what you are saying! It sounds cool to me?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Sinewed maple bow in trouble but saved going on 2000 arrows through it
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 09:10:23 pm »
Well I was over at a bow making seminar and a friend of mine took some pictures of the bow in question.He says he'll put em on here within 24 hours.Braced,full draw,resting,front and back.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:57:24 am by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 09:47:08 pm »
Ed, that bow is beautiful!  Can't wait to see the pics!  Josh

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 10:18:45 pm »
Here they are and this is the nicest bow I have ever seen
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 10:24:59 pm »
I have to agree John!  That is the nicest bow I've ever seen as well!  On a side note, man! I really need to wash the old Ken-a-bego!  Josh

Offline randman

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 10:42:56 pm »
Beadman that's real purty! Nice job on the save. Looks like it was meant to have that horn on it all along.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 11:01:42 pm »
Thanks fellas but we all know it's just a stick tweaked a bit to shoot an arrow.
Thanks for posting it John and my regards to your family too.
Josh...You truck drivers are are sure picky about your trucks.I think it looks fine.
OK fellas...This bow is'nt finished quite yet.It's without a finish and a leather handle.I've got a little over 200 arrows through it and it does seem to be stable.It's a sinewed hard male 60"TTT,58.5"NTN with a thickness tapered horn belly on the workng portion of the limbs.the horn actually almost tapers out completely 10" from the tips.It's 1 and 11/32" wide at the fades,15/16" wide ten inches from the tips where it stops working.The working portion of the limbs are about 14.5" long.It's pulling about 54#@28".About 1/8"" from being center shot and shoots a nice clean arrow.Wth the birch bark on it it weighs 16.1 ounces.Before that it weighed 15.50 ounces.When I started tillering it,it had 7 and1/2" reflex.After tillering for four three hour sessions it holds 6" reflex at rest with 5"to 4 and 3/4" getting to the arrow depending how long I leave it braced.Which ranged from 2 to 4 hours at a time.That's a lot of paticular statistics I know but this bow got under my skin.
The paticulars about my troubles with the bow are said earlier on this thread.I'm satisfied so far with it.Hope you like it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 11:04:58 pm »
randman....I guess you know but it still came in at a low enough mass weight to suit me.Over 2.5 ounces under my earlier hickory creation.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DuBois

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 09:09:38 am »
Man that is beautiful!
Nice pics  8)

blackhawk

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 09:18:20 am »
That full draw is gorgeous  :D.  Ed you can put my name on that one  ;D

Have I seen that truck somewhere before?  ::)

Offline rps3

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 09:42:46 am »
I like your stick tweaked a bit to shoot an arrow.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 10:06:56 am »
Beadman did not  did not say but i helped make part of his archery equipment.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Sinewed maple bow in trouble...pics added
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 10:31:58 am »
Good fix. Should be fine, I fixed a few chrysalis by gluing in s rawhide patch over them. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Sinewed maple bow in trouble...pics added
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 10:50:10 am »
Thanks fellas.....goes to show[at least to me]you never are to old to learn.Especially this hobby of bow making at least to me.The problem I've had with finishes on these type bows is to get a finish on it that does'nt crack with little fissures across the back.I'm gonna try some satin spar varnish since I've read that might work.That stuff dries so slow though.I might be wrong but I prefer that over tru oil.
iowabo.....I tell ya you can hang that lever bow as you call it on my rack anytime it stops being one of your favorites.I might just tiller it to 28" though.
BowEd
Ed