Author Topic: My five year old girl wants a bow. . . Design ideas?  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
Re: My five year old girl wants a bow. . . Design ideas?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 01:53:10 pm »
I think somebody may have touched on it, but I remember reading somewhere that for a kids bow, you want to overbuild the crap out of it for two reasons.

(1) They are going to beat the bow up, and it needs to be durable to be able to withstand a child's wrath.

(2) If very overbuilt in length and width, then they will be able to grow through the bow slightly slower than if you made it like we make bows for ourselves. As their draw length increases with how tall and strong they are, the bow will compensate easily over time. It's a simple matter to make a few bows, built this way, and have them last from 5-6 all the way until they want to start making their own bows to their liking. With this sort of construction, a bow might last longer than their clothes.  :laugh:
Nick from Sandwich, IL
I'm just a senior in high school trying to get into college, and the world beyond.
Despite all my rage, I have yet to find any osage.

Offline bigbird583

Re: My five year old girl wants a bow. . . Design ideas?
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 07:41:32 pm »
Thanks Hedgeapple.  I don't know why I haven't tried that before.  Ha, and I thought this old laptop was slow before.

Very helpful posts everyone.  I think I'm going to get going on some slat bows this week.  My makeshift stave holder thingy broke again so I'm on hold till I get something figured out.   My girls have been bugging me daily and I have to keep telling them it will be awhile till I get some practice to make theirs.  I want to get them going while they are into it and not get them bored waiting.  What is the most durable fletching for kids?  Thanks all.

Bird