Author Topic: Newbie...  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Lyagooshka

Newbie...
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:53 am »
Hello all.  I am new to the site.  I am also new to archery.  I got into hunting very late in life.  I started with rifle / compound, even crossbow, but quickly found they were not for me.  I moved to hunting with a longbow.  I truly enjoy it.  I do not plan to change for a while, but my ultimate goal is to hunt with a selfbow, wood arrows, goose feathers and glass broadhead (still might have to use dakron for the string though  ;D ).  Again, brand new here, but I figured it was time to start.

This is actually my second post.  My first was saying “Wow” to Almostpighunter for his Crooked, Gnarled, Knotty, Twisted and full of Holes Bow.  That is one of the most beautiful bows I have seen.  To me, there is great beauty in simplicity and function, and that bow looks like it’s got both.  It’s also one of my reasons for wanting to go to primitive tackle.  I am limited only by my own creativity (and bank account  ::) ).

Again, I am happy with my longbows for now.  I hope to even take an animal one day, but we’ll have to see.  So now I am in the information gathering / experimenting phase.  And this is where I could really use some help.  In the beginning, I simply want to “make some stuff”.  I am not trying to be “authentic” or use hide glue, sinew, etc.  That being said, I definitely want it to be a selfbow, and I want it to be from some local woods (here in PA I see quite a bit of Maple, Oak, Black Walnut).  I also would like to know what varnish / sealer to use and what sizes / weights are appropriate.  Any help is most appreciated.  I look forward to starting my new adventure(s).  Be well.

Alex

:)
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Newbie...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:07:18 pm »
if you have access to a bunch of trees that you know are bow woods then you can get permission and cut them down, debark, split, and seal. If you don't have access or you want to do something while the staves you cut are drying then you could buy a maple board or red oak board. In my experience, board bows are a cheap easy way to get your feet wet and even wade into the shallow waters. Once you've gotten some experience building board bows then you can move on to staves with some ease. If you get stuck post a thread here and the community will help you out.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Lyagooshka

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:12:47 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  What dimensions on the board (2X4X8 I would guess)?  Definitely want to get started.  Also, any tips on the minimum toolage required?  Thanks again.  Be well.

Alex

"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:17:25 pm »
I dont like recommending board bows to beginners as wood selection is so critical with them. It really sucks having a bow blow on you because you chose a bad board. Although it has its advantages, in that you can start bow making immediately without waiting for wood to dry. Your call on that.

Splitting large diam trees and working them down is time consuming with hand tools. The bowmaking process really begins when tillering begins. To get large diameter staves down to tillering stages takes a while with a hatchet. Then to go head-on tillering a bow for the first time after spending time reducing it down to bow dimensions and having it blow on you is very upsetting.That's why i like to recommend saplings to beginners as they are fast to make,as functional as a stave bow, easier to learn on, and can be quick dried much more easily.

Go cut some hardwood saplings- hickory, hornbeam, elm, oak, some maples, etc at least 60 inches in length.
 Rough it out so its bending a bit at floor tiller, then strap it down to a 2x4 so it doesnt warp. Let it dry for a month, then begin tillering. If it feels spongy while tillering or begins to take set, let it dry for 2 more weeks. I would go further into my method of reducing green wood saplings to bows even faster, but would take too much typing and reading.

Tools can be as limited as you want. You can make a bow with just a knife, or just a hatchet. That's how a lot of us got started.

But i recommend, a hatchet for roughing out, a knife(used at 90 degree angles to the wood) of cabinet scraper for scraping, and a rasp for more aggressive wood removal before using the cabinet scraper or knife.Some use files to cut in the string grooves. I just use a knife to cut my nocks in. Then of course sandpaper and finishes for finishing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:20:51 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »
id say a 1x3x6 would work, make sure to look for strait grained wood though. Tools can be as simple as a rasp(medium) and a surform rasp really helps to get it shaped if you dont have a bandsaw. If you want to glue a handle riser then you would want glue. A scrapper is quite essential and can be found on 3rivers or you could do research, but i dont think lowes sells it.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:22:58 pm »
Welcome to PA!! Looking forward to seeing your first self bow.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 12:23:39 pm »
Welcome to a wonderful world  ;D

Where in pa do you live? There might be someone close or close enough to you to help ya out...firsthand teaching is the best IMO....there are some good books also to look into...traditional bowyers bibles...the bent stick...hunting the osage bow....if you live in pa screw them boards man...we live in a state FULL of excellent bow wood..from osage,hickory,hophornbeam,oaks,elms,black locust,ash,serviceberry,ERC,walnut,maple,etc....and the list goes on. You should have no problem finding trees or saplings....saplings are good for new guys...easy to cut and reduce and not wasting a lot of time,and can be quickly dried within weeks. By the way I live in western pa.... ;)

Offline Lyagooshka

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:00:58 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions.  To be honest, I might just do both.  I will get a plank, and also I have a 6' (I think Black Walnut) that I cut from my front yard.  It's been drying since teh end of summer.  It is from 1.5"-2.5" in diameter.  Definitely looking forward to it.  I'll post questions (of which I am sure there will be many).  Thanks again.  Be well.

Alex

;D

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:18:38 pm »
Look on the website "www.poorfolkbows.com" it's a good site. It is where I learned to make my first bow.

Offline Lyagooshka

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:27 am »
Blackhawk,

Sorry, forgot to answer your question.  I live in Allentown.  Not a bad place, lots of deer, and I am looking at getting one one day  >:D .  Thanks again for everyone's help.  Definitely enough info to get me started.  Really like the web site too.  I'll update with any quetion.  Thanks again.  Be well.

Alex