Author Topic: The difference between drying wood and seasoning it.  (Read 22149 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: The difference between drying wood and seasoning it.
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2013, 06:09:52 am »
Told yall where this was going. ;) :) :) The best answer is if you think their is no difference in dry and seasoned then don't worry about it. :) That will solve the debate.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2013, 06:40:08 am »
HAHA, Pappy, looks like you are trying to put a lid on my can.... I get this image of you sitting on top an over boiling lid on a pressure cooker.....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Holten101

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:52 am »
Told yall where this was going. ;) :) :) The best answer is if you think their is no difference in dry and seasoned then don't worry about it. :) That will solve the debate.  :)
   Pappy

With so little empiric evidence, dogma is bound to surface....and dogma always polarize debates;-).

Cheers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2013, 07:50:11 am »
Yep it's all an opinion Holten 101 and you know how opinions are. ;) Sleek it has went good,I have said it before,this is a great bunch and most of the debates stay
civil.  :) Their are just some things that will never really be solved, they come up from time to time but usually no ones minds are changed.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2013, 08:19:16 am »
Got anything with my name on it Carson ol' buddy? WOW your lucky Gordon, I know you will make a fantastic bow with those billets.

Funny you should ask that Pearl.  This vine maple had your name on it since the day I cut it  >:D  I know how you can handle some reflex  ;)

Let me at it buddy! No such thing as too much reflex in my thin, little book. Vine Maple has always intrigued me. The 8-9 types of Maples we have growing around here wont ever be harmed by my tools. It doesnt hold a candle to what I know about Vine Maple.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:52 am »
Yep it's all an opinion Holten 101 and you know how opinions are. ;) Sleek it has went good,I have said it before,this is a great bunch and most of the debates stay
civil.  :) Their are just some things that will never really be solved, they come up from time to time but usually no ones minds are changed.  :)
   Pappy

I agree....Im amazed (again) of how little drama even "hot topics" (good luck explaining your wife how seasoning wood is a hot topic;-) create in here....indeed a great bunch of people.

PA and PP are, by a margin the most pleasant, thought provoking, inspiring and educational sites on this internet thingy;-)

Cheers

Offline Keenan

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:31 am »
Gordon, Good link and read, to bad it didn't give more data on "Bow wood" like Osage or Yew. With moisture being removed when dried, it would be interesting to see the effects of resin leached out of the wood cells when kiln dried as apposed to what  happens if slow dried.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2013, 10:02:54 am »
About a year ago we had the same debate !
Still fun !!!
Back then I said that Gary Davis went from tree to bow in like 14 days or something !
That bow was as good as or better than any other bow any of us do ,but I still think with some seasoning it could have been better !
A hard headed worthless old nut !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Gordon

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2013, 10:07:46 am »
I have yet to find any reference that suggests that "cured" natural occuring resins impart strength to dried wood cells. Maybe there is some supporting research out there somewhere, but until I find it I remain skeptical.
Gordon

Offline Roy

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2013, 10:11:10 am »
It's out there Gordon, keep looking. ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2013, 10:12:38 am »
"I think I get it now." Roy
I think that post may have made my morning! :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Albert

« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2013, 11:35:50 am »
Ok so I haven't read the whole thread but here's my take on it: during aging (prolonged state of rest of a dry piece of wood) wood's chemical composition slowly alters and it's physical properties can be altered too.

here's an article (I can only post the abstract because of copyright laws): 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1296207412000404

Effects of aging on the vibrational properties of wood. Noguchi, Takunori ; Obataya, Eiichi ; Ando, Kosei Journal of Cultural Heritage , 2012 , Vol. 13 (3) , S21 -S25

Vibrational properties of aged wood (121∼296 years old) were compared with those of recently cut “new” wood (8 years old). The aged wood showed higher sound velocity (VL) and lower mechanical loss tangent (tanδL) than the new wood. The ratio of Young's modulus and shear modulus (EL/GL) remained unchanged or increased slightly during the aging period. These results coincide with musicians’ empirical observations that the acoustic quality of wooden soundboards is improved by aging. In addition, the reduced tanδL of the aged wood indicates the qualitative difference between the naturally aged and heat-treated wood. The experimental results were explained by using a cell wall model when we assumed the following: increase in the volume fraction of cellulosic microfibrils; reduction in the shear modulus of amorphous matrix substances, and; reduction in the loss tangent of the matrix. These assumptions appear reasonable when we consider the crystallization of cellulose, depolymerization of hemicelluloses, and cross-linking in the lignin complex during aging.

Offline Albert

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2013, 11:42:00 am »
Here's another one that found that after one year of seasoning there is a chemical alteration of wood. Wood physical properties have not been examnied though.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10564039

Evolution of phenolic compounds of spanish oak wood during natural seasoning. First results. Brıgida Fernandez de Simon, Estrella Cadahıa, Elvira Conde, and Marıa Concepcion Garcıa-Vallejo

Low molecular weight polyphenols and ellagitannins were analyzed by HPLC, and the molecular weight distribution of ellagitannins was calculated by GPC, in oak heartwood of Quercus robur L., Quercus petraea Liebl., Quercus pyrenaica Wild., and Quercus faginea Lam., grown in Spain, before and after 1 year of seasoning, in Bordeaux, France. During this process, the concentrations of low molecular weight polyphenols (acids and aldehydes, benzoic and cinnamic, and coumarins) increased, and those of ellagitannins (castalagin, vescalagin, and roburins A-E) decreased. A similar behavior for the A and B compounds in all species was not found. This modification in the chemical composition was similar in the four Spanish species of Quercus studied and allowed the differentiation between the unseasoned wood and the wood after the first year of seasoning.

Offline Albert

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2013, 11:45:11 am »
So it seems something is happening over time. The question we have to ask is: how can we work it to our advantage? is it significant? Still lots to discover.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2013, 12:15:25 pm »
WOW,That's like reading the Saint James version of the old Testament. ??? Tough reading for a red neck like me much less understanding. :) OK I give,dry wood is no different than seasoned. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good