Author Topic: Primitive Hawthorn Bow  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Arrowind

Re: Primitive Hawthorn Bow
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 12:28:07 am »
Sweet bow.  The wrap on the handle looks pretty cool.  The natural look of the bow is beautiful just how it is.   Looks cool!   90lbs?  Dang... Impressive.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 05:05:56 am »
Nicely done Young Man ! Keep up the good work - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 07:23:11 am »
I hear you, my accuracy is non existent some days no matter the poundage!

Unfortunately this is only my second year of wrestling, i wish i had started earlier lol. It really is an awesome sport.

Never too late! I recently watched a collegiate match between IU and Ohio St. where a freshman from IU is ranked nationally and he just started as a senior in high school.

Keep up the good work on the mat and primitive "man" bows!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 11:21:08 am »
Nicley done. The tiller on a bow that weight looks great. I don't know how or why you younguns make and pull those heavies, maybe its just because you can. Hurts me to even think about it. Good one.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »
Thanks guys!!!

Lol Steve just a few more years of training  :o

Thanks Arrowind, it's fun to make these simple bows. I find more joy in shooting them then the bows i actually spend alotta time finishing. I guess i feel that they are built more for the purpose of shooting then to look at......idk  ;D

Thanks Tracy! Yeah theres some insane wrestlers out there. Like that Dustin Carter kid who wrestles without any arms or legs and made 3rd in regionals. Mad respect for those guys. Both wrestling and bowmaking are hard work and really teach ya alot!

Thanks Sidewinder, idk about the others but i like to have alotta insurance when i make a bow as far as weight is concerned. Pretty much, i'd like to know that a bow i make could kill a variety of things, like say if a bear snuck up behind me i could hope to kill it LOL. Plus, i like working with weights  ;D ;D

Thanks for the friendly comments guys!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 12:47:15 pm »
Nice work on that Shooter Zion
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 09:02:14 pm »
Thanks Carson  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 10:23:27 pm »

Thanks Arrowind, it's fun to make these simple bows. I find more joy in shooting them then the bows i actually spend alotta time finishing. I guess i feel that they are built more for the purpose of shooting then to look at......idk  ;D

Well you are really good at it!  I like doing the art stuff because it's fun for me but a lot of times I stop short of finishing some and have way more un "finished" bows laying around than I do that have 12 coates of some kind of finish on them.  Actually the most fun part for me is when you shoot the bow for the very first time.   As for shooting I've started putting a lot more time into that too.  Hope I can improve my accuracy. 

Anyway I really like YOUR bows just the way you make them.   They dont need all kinds of stuff on them to be Amazing.  The beauty is in your work and the bow itself!  Keep posting your bows!  So awesome and inspiring!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?