Author Topic: A new bow that im trying to tiller...  (Read 4177 times)

Offline akila

A new bow that im trying to tiller...
« on: October 18, 2007, 06:50:44 pm »
Hy i make my self a tiller tree today and i have a new bow that im trying to tiller..hope you dont mind that im keeping you busy with all my stuff.. ;), but im realy trying to learn this proces.First of all i will put some pictures with the bow and i  woood like ot know iff i have to straighten the bow or i could leave it like this...he has all the defects posibile...knots,the limbs are not perfect straight,and a little twist also.The string its not right in the middle of the handle...and i dont know whatt to do...i have read here on the forum that a little twist its ok..but i will let the pictures to talk ....thks a lot for all your help...you guys are gr8.

Here are 2 pictures with the bow on my new tiller tree :)

In this picture you can see  the twist in the limb.The wood is ash.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:00:28 pm by akila »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: A new bow that im trying to tiller...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 09:38:57 pm »
You have a little sideways twist. Doesn't look bad. I almost always leave the handle full width and the nocks a good inch until full draw.That way I can cut the nocks further on the side the string is off and shape the handle accordingly to bring the string on the handle or closer to the center. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 05:40:17 am »
Don't look bad but you can straighten that out with some heat if you like or make the
limb that is on the floor the top limb if you are right handed the other if you are left handed.
I would straighten it if it was mine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline akila

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 04:18:25 pm »
Hi guys..i did some straighten to the bow and its a little better now..i almost fix  the twist problem..only one limb still have just a little twist ,but its verry little...the string is still where it wass before..i didnt make it to straighten the limbs  so that the string commes to the middle of the handle.Something els that i had to do ..i had to cut the bow shorter becose i discover a krack in one of the tips and i had to short the bow...so now its 64" long.My draw length its 29" so i probably could not reach this draw lenght with a 64" bow.I will put some pictures with my new tiller tree ;D,and with the bow strung a little with a long string.I also could need some help with some dimension for this bow,becose right now after i cut him,the bow its 3cm widh at the noks..(1" and a little).The bow has a lot of caracter and i wood realy like to make a bow from this piece of wood.Also something that i find important to mention...the stave has only 2 mounth since wass been cut and reduce to near bow dimension and let do dry inside the house...an today i did some straighten to her with the heat gun and with a little vegetable oil and the wood did not krack...I mention this becose i know that the roules is dry wood-dry heat...green wood-steam heat...but i had luck on this ....no krack apears..here is the pictures.

It will be grate iff you could tell me whatt to do...can i start tiller it ,or i should first reduce the widh to the tips, ???The bow right now its 4,3 cm at the fades ,4cm  to the midd limb and 3 cm to the noks....sorry for the metrics units.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:22:03 pm by akila »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:07:46 am »
Start working from mid limb on-both limbs. Check my sites. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline akila

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 08:05:36 pm »
Start working from mid limb on-both limbs. Check my sites. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Hy i want to ask you something...i have read your site and i did not understand something...you say there that whenn the bow is bendind evenly at a 10" draw and the scale show the exact draw weight that i want you string the bow??? what do you mean by this plz? you string it at fist mele like whenn you want to shot with it??or you just put a shorter string.And something els that i dont get it...how do you realise this evenly bending in the limbs,only at a 10"draw??? its posibile to see how the all limb its working only at a 10" draw???...and one more thing...the bow should not bend at the fades to much right..?thks a lot..