Author Topic: Can't get started in making a bow  (Read 43921 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Can't get started in making a bow
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:39 pm »
you need the weight of the bow to really help you determine what your draw will be. if you just stretch out with a tape measure you will have a massive draw(mines 31.3 inches without any bow in hand.)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2013, 09:06:35 pm »
Oh, and way to go playing in the band. Too many kids think its stupid and dorky and wont even try it. If they only knew how many chicks dudes in a band get when there 21 years old playing college bars.......hehehehehehehe......just sayin'. Learn all you can in HS band and take it with you to make some extra cash later.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2013, 09:08:09 pm »
You will pull that bow 27" max. Anchor your draw hand with a finger in the corner of your mouth. By looking at the thickness and lenght Id say you probably have a 55# bow right now, at your draw length.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rps3

« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2013, 09:46:26 pm »
For what it is worth bitterguy, I am 6'5" and draw around 28". Now if I stood up straight and shot olympic style that would be different, but that is not how I shoot selfbows.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2013, 10:20:38 pm »
Haha thanks, I'm in the coolest part the drum line, lookin at lickin up a kit sometime soon too.Ill have to change my name to BITTER DRUMS ;P Would you say she's ready to finish and shoot or should I take her down the tree 2" at a time till I'm at 27" to check the tiller?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2013, 10:38:26 pm »
I love drum lines they are the coolist!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2013, 10:41:49 pm »
I love drum lines they are the coolist!
Thanks, I know it haha. Even cooler are indoor percussion ensembles. Finally get my skill on the tenor drums (quads) up hopefully I make the audition to march with em next year
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2013, 10:43:58 pm »
Good luck!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2013, 08:42:54 am »
Your tiller is fine, it wont change from 20" to 27". Be CAREFUL drawing it. Start off pulling it to 22" a few times then just carefully continue pulling farther back in increments until it breaks or your half a full draw bow!

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2013, 09:17:28 am »
I'ma cut some arows to length and gonna do what you right what you said! Then I need help on the finishing and what not, I ordered some tru-oil with the rest of my stuff. Should I just measure my string at where it is now and try and make that the length of my string now? I remember seeing a how-to on how to make a yarn string silencer so I'm gonna start that and I'm gonna look on poorfolk bows on how to serve my string. The only questions I have now is that one about string length, how to finish it and how to make that leather wrap grip.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2013, 09:39:12 am »
Just be sure the draw weight is comfy for you. If it feels too heavy take a even scrapes off both limbs to lighten it up. A few pounds makes a huge difference. You get it pulling full draw several times and we can start on finishing it. Your string should be 3" shorter than the bow. Your brace should be in the 5.25-5.5" range.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2013, 09:45:34 am »
Pearl, you are a saint and a scholar.  Props for paying it forward
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »
Thanks to all that helped the guy build his first bow. I haven't read all the posts but thats what it seems. I wanted to be able to build bows when I was in high school and gave up cause I couldn't get help or find good resources.
Pearly you da man

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2013, 10:07:11 am »
I ran into a problem while testing the bow for that draw weight. I need a different target! The kept slinging my arrows through the newpaper stuffed pizza box and the were hitting the cinderblocks of my garage wall(even put some dents in the cinder block. I didnt notice until all the points had popped off and one of them snapped sideways with some of the shaft still in it  >:( fortunatly the arrows wernt cut to length yet. My old man recomended putting a sheet of osb between my target and the wall. Would the do the trick, if not how should i make a target that isnt ripped to shreds by my bow?

Edit: also, how should I get that part of the shaft out of my point?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2013, 10:32:50 am »
Stuff your box with old clothing, it will stop your arrows. Plastic grocery bags work good to. Glad it hasnt broke.