Author Topic: Can't get started in making a bow  (Read 43897 times)

Offline Bitterguy

Can't get started in making a bow
« on: February 10, 2013, 04:29:40 pm »
I really want to get started but just can't. I had a board bow break during the tillering process a while back, that taught me about choosing a board without run-off. I thought I had found that with my last board a 1"x6"x7' I cut of the section with the straightest grain and realized I would have to cut it down to 5.5' to get it down to one piece of run-off(might no affect the bow to much once i round the corners of it). I wanted to start out simple with a long bow but idk where to go from here. Is there some sort of formula for figuring out the length/size of the fades to the tips?

Also I live in central pa(blair county) so if anyone in that area know anywhere to get some decent wood, preferably a place where i can cut down a tree to get a stave or two but a place that sells nice boards would be nice as well.

As always, thank you in advance.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Can't get started in making a bow
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:37:35 pm »
If you answer my question, I will answer yours?

What ever happened to all the arrow building material that we sent to you? I never heard or seen anything back.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 04:40:52 pm »
If you answer my question, I will answer yours?

What ever happened to all the arrow building material that we sent to you? I never heard or seen anything back.

Sorry about that, I don't have a fletching jig, any heads, an idea of what to do and a bow to shoot them out of. Yet again I am sorry for that
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 04:45:47 pm »
Maybe jumped the gun a little? Do you still have it all?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 04:49:42 pm »
Maybe jumped the gun a little? Do you still have it all?
Every last piece of it
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 04:52:01 pm »
        Take a look around your country side. Must be some good saplings and trees around the forest and hills.! Grab an AXE or saw and have at 'er.  You will be happier working on staves rather than sick boards with grain issues.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 05:00:11 pm »
Good for you.

63" is enough to make a great bow. I assume its oak. First rip off a 1 5/8" wide strip from that wide board. Then find the lenghtwise center and mark it. From center measure out 18" on each limb and mark it across the limb. Go to each end and find the exact center and mark it.  Measure 3/8" on each side of center and mark it. That will make your 3/4" wide tips. Now go back to that 18" line and using a yard stick draw in a line from that 18 mark to the 3/8" off center mark you just made at the tips. That forms your width taper. Do it again on the other side. When your done remove all that material and check back in.

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 05:43:37 pm »
If you want to drive  just south of Ebensburg, I will give you a hickory stave already seasoned. PM me and let me know. I will also show you a tree to cut. Cant just give a man a fish you know.
Bob

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 06:04:30 pm »
Good for you.

63" is enough to make a great bow. I assume its oak. First rip off a 1 5/8" wide strip from that wide board. Then find the lenghtwise center and mark it. From center measure out 18" on each limb and mark it across the limb. Go to each end and find the exact center and mark it.  Measure 3/8" on each side of center and mark it. That will make your 3/4" wide tips. Now go back to that 18" line and using a yard stick draw in a line from that 18 mark to the 3/8" off center mark you just made at the tips. That forms your width taper. Do it again on the other side. When your done remove all that material and check back in.
Done and done!
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 06:07:51 pm »
Take Bob up on his offer. Its a good one.

Now measure the thickness at 1/2" on center and mark it. Measure the thickness at 7/16" on the tips and mark it. Take your yard stick and connect those two point. Do that twice on each limb. Remove that wood to form a nice taper to start tillering with. Dont go below that line when you are removin g wood.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 06:19:29 pm »
One day, ya might wanna just go run around in the woods and hunt for straight saplings. If ya know what black locust looks like, or hop horn beam, you can alot of the time find nice straight saplings ( or at least I know of a couple spots where there are alot of nice straight hop horn beam saplings, I don't know if it commonly grows like this though). Or just whatever species, and take em home, remove the bark, reduce the belly, and let it dry a few weeks. Tie it down maybe to reduce warping. Than in a couple weeks just go at it. If anything gets my primal bow making instincts running full throttle, it is this,  ;D.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 06:34:21 pm »
Take Bob up on his offer. Its a good one.

Now measure the thickness at 1/2" on center and mark it. Measure the thickness at 7/16" on the tips and mark it. Take your yard stick and connect those two point. Do that twice on each limb. Remove that wood to form a nice taper to start tillering with. Dont go below that line when you are removin g wood.
My board is actually 3/4" should I still mark 1/2" down?
Edit: should I rasp it down to there and round off the edges or just make it, for example 1/2" on the center, across the 1 5/8"?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:39:53 pm by Bitterguy »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:50:42 pm »
You want an even thickness taper from center out. It starts at 1/2" and slightly tapers to 7/16" at the tips.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 07:19:45 pm »
You want an even thickness taper from center out. It starts at 1/2" and slightly tapers to 7/16" at the tips.

x2, great advise that your getting, i'd take it all, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 07:20:56 pm »
By thickness you mean the sides correct? Sorry I know I'm still really new at this but a 1/4 thick board just sounds like it'll snap
I've attached a picture, the top most side being the side I would take wood off of

Edit: ohhh nvm now i see, im supposed to make it 1/2" thick not take 1/2" off. So i should basically flip the board around and take off wood from that side

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:32:22 pm by Bitterguy »
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.