Author Topic: How to measure draw length?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Sidewinder

How to measure draw length?
« on: February 10, 2013, 07:19:54 pm »
I asked this question in the trade bow draw length thread and thought I should move to a seperate topic so as to not hijack it. Here is the exerps from the original question and that last couple of responses to get things going.

Posted by: KellyG
« on: Today at 09:58:08 am »Insert Quote

on left handed rigid handled bows I draw around 27" as measured from the deepest part of the nock to the back of the bow. I simply had some one put a mark on an arrow shaft when I was at full draw and repeated a couple of times. I have only done this on american longbows/hill style bows. I guess if Some one made a really thick handle it would shorten my draw a bit. Never shot a bendy handle bow so I really don't know on them.

Posted by: Sidewinder
« on: Today at 03:52:39 pm »Insert Quote

Can someone considered an expert comment on Kellys statement that a bow with a deeper handle will shorten his draw length? I have been under the understanding that draw length is measured from the back of the bow not the belly of the handle, am I wrong. The reason I bring this up is it can be confusing for new ones and if a guy is working hard to make his draw weight close to his trade partners drawweight and length but he is measuring from the wrong point then he will miss it all together. thanks in advance for the clarification.    Danny

Posted by: Weylin
« on: Today at 04:09:30 pm »Insert Quote

I certainly don't consider my self an expert but I'm pretty sure most people measure draw length from the back of the bow. If you have a deeper handle it will make your drawlength longer because the more substantial handle is pushing the back of the bow out farther away from you. Your drawlength becomes shorter with a bend through the handle bow that has a thin/shallow handle because the back of the bow is now closer to you. Hope that makes sense. If anyone sees it differently feel free to correct me.

Posted by: Will H
« on: Today at 04:12:27 pm » Insert Quote

Yep, what Weylin said

Posted by: Sidewinder
« on: Today at 04:22:50 pm »Insert Quote

OK. I'm a little dense. Its taken me 6yrs to finally see this. So if we measure someones draw length, what is the standard depth handle for a standard measurement? Or is there one? 
 So to take into consideration handle depth and draw weight at a given draw length one must factor in that handle depth in order to reach the desired length and weight. Right?
 When I build my bows I put it on a tillering tree with a pully and have inches marked to guide my not pulling past a certain point while also on a spring scale. I add the depth of the handle to the distance I am pulling at the target weight so as to not over pull it. Maybe I should start another thread so as to not hijack this one.......to be continued.

So thats where we left off. Comments? suggestions?   Fire away
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Will H

Re: How to measure draw length?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:23:58 am »
First off I don't think that those of us in this self bow community have a "standard handle depth" I think everybody builds bows to suit there own likes. I think we tend to for the most part measure drawlength from the back of the bow as to have an apples to apples comparison of how far we are bending wood. As bowyers it helps comunicate what we have accomplished with a paticular piece of wood. I understand what you're saying though. If you build a bow for someone with a 2" deep handle and tiller it to 28" from the back and the person really draws 28" to the grip they could potentially overdraw the bow by 2". I think this is why ive noticed that most of the glass bow guys measure draw length to the deepest part of the grip. They are usually built for customers and this would eliminate that variable. If I build a selfbow for someone I get the measurement I need in person so I know what I need to build for that individual and even then usually tiller out an extra inch for added assurance. This is just my opinion after all, if anyone has some more insight or can explain this better please chime in. Hope this helps...
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:14:18 am »
                 maybe those who build arrows can say better. I have heard that arrows are built w/the measurement to the front of grip so,if I remember correct, 1.5" longer to account for fingers and taper
for field tip or broad head. hope this helps.

chuck

Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:48:37 am »
I measure it from the deepest part of the handle which is usually where the crook of my thumb and forefinger rest. That means from bow to bow my draw length never changes because it is always measured from the crook of my thumb and forefinger. I have always considered draw length to be a trait unique to a person that is independent of the bow you are using.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:09:35 pm »
There are those,who measure draw length by the AMO standard,but that can get confusing to many.
So,having said that,i will concur with this post.

Posted by: Weylin
« on: Today at 04:09:30 pm »Insert Quote

I certainly don't consider my self an expert but I'm pretty sure most people measure draw length from the back of the bow. If you have a deeper handle it will make your drawlength longer because the more substantial handle is pushing the back of the bow out farther away from you. Your drawlength becomes shorter with a bend through the handle bow that has a thin/shallow handle because the back of the bow is now closer to you. Hope that makes sense. If anyone sees it differently feel free to correct me.