Author Topic: Exotic wood backing for a black walnut bow.  (Read 5492 times)

Offline Mistergone

Exotic wood backing for a black walnut bow.
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:58 pm »
So I had plans to build a bamboo backed walnut bow but the more I sketched ideas for it the more I began to think about using some interesting exotic wood for a backing instead of the bamboo, something with a nice color that would still function well as a backing. So what would go well with a 68-72" black walnut bow, this would be my first time using walnut and I really don't want to waste this beautiful wood.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Exotic wood backing for a black walnut bow.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:31:57 pm »
Maple :)

Nice and subtle grain, and the color is in wonderful contrast to the dark walnut. It's also much better physically matched to walnut. Bamboo will easily overpower the walnut belly, as would hickory, but the milder maple complements the walnut beautifully.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Mistergone

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:02:48 pm »
I do love hard maple as a bow wood, most of my silk backed bows are maple since I've found it more forgiving and a bit snappier than red oak, but I was hoping there might be another more exotic wood to back the walnut with like wenge, rosewood or zebra wood, but like I said, I really don't want to waste the excellent piece of walnut I got so if maple is truly the best option I guess that's the way I'll go

Offline Gaur

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:30 pm »
why does it need a backing?  Black walnut makes a pretty nice self bow.  You could leave a bit of sap wood with its light color if you wanted some contrast. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:04:16 pm »
I think you will find most of the exotics tend to be dense and brittle. Poor choices for a back. Better for bellies. Ipe for example.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:44:46 am »
I think you will find most of the exotics tend to be dense and brittle. (...)
That's a false statement. You're talking about tropical woods. An "exotic wood" is simply any wood that is not native to your area. In my case, osage is an exotic wood, as are red oak, hard maple and black locust. I live in Europe, and those woods don't grow here naturally and are hence exotic.
I do, however, pretty much agree with your statement that most tropical woods are better suited for bellies than for backings. Most of the imported tropical woods are indeed dense and brittle, but that's just the choice we make on what to import. There's thousands of exotic trees, and many are weak, soft and light. Indigenous people often make self bows out of local tropical woods, which implies good tensile strength of the wood. But these woods are often simply not imported. However, ipé does make a good selfbow (as is demonstrated by Surinamese and Brazilian people), but the typical boards we can buy have their grain (severely) violated and are hard to read, thus require a backing.

Tropical woods like wengé, zebrawood or rosewood are better suited as a belly. Their tensile strength simply isn't great. But the tensile strength of walnut is pretty good. I thick that walnut backed zebrawood/rosewood could actually make a pretty decent bow! Yes, that's the woods the other way around. But it'll still give you what you're after, right? I personally prefer a triple laminate for such tropical woods, as it allows the bowyer to use even three different woods. Hickory backing, zebrawood core, and bubinga belly would be a stunning and very good combination :)
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 10:43:41 am »
+1 on the maple. It looks great with a dark belly.

Offline Mistergone

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 03:15:50 pm »
Yes, the maple really does look perfect with the walnut, I think that will be the route I take since I already have a ton of extra maple pieces about 10" long. And I did misspeak when I said exotic, I'm just used to to that term bc of how my local wood shops label their selection, I was referring to the more tropical types of hardwood, and the idea of trying a walnut backed zebra bow sounds brilliant, but I'd really need to save for a while before I could afford a decent sized piece. Anyways, thanks for all the good advice, once I actually have time to lay this bow out I'll be sure to post pics.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »
I backed a black walnut with paper birch, real nice combo, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Gaur

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 05:32:13 pm »
I think you missed the point that others gave.  Zebra wood, paduak, etc would all make really poor choices for backings as they are pretty brittle when put there on a bow and your chance of breaking the bow would be very high in my mind if you used it.  Only time you see it on bow there is under clear fiberglass and we don't talk about that here  :o

There are exotic fruit woods that would work though.  So I don't think its really the case of being exotic but more the nature of the woods.  Most fruit woods are more elastic and that is what you need for a backing.

By the way Adb that bow is really beautiful.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Mistergone

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 07:01:59 pm »
No, I understood that they didn't recommend tropical woods as backings, I meant that a zebrawood bow backed with hickory sounded beautiful, that's all, but I tend to work on a bit of a budget and use 2x2 cuts of wood so can keep the carving a single piece of wood so any build requiring something as pricey as zebra would be a big big project.