Author Topic: Bow length around the world  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Bow length around the world
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 03:36:56 pm »
I'm gonna guess that it was an energy savings technique. Somebody previously stated that the more humid, more densely forested areas  typically produced bows of longer length. I would think that in those densely vegetated areas, wildlife is also more densely distributed. The people in these areas would have had to travel less distance in search of prey.

In comparison, the more sparse areas could require a great deal of travel in order to effectively hunt. I would guess that these people were probably also more nomadic in general than the people living in the more densely vegetated areas. So the less weight they had to carry along with them, the less energy they expended in their survival efforts making them more apt to survive longer. Smaller bows are lighter and easier to carry to than long bows, and that's probably why they were preferred.

I'm by no means an expert, but I think most questions about primitive people's behaviors can be answered from an energy conservation perspective. It might seem insignificant, but a calorie saved is a calorie earned, and small things make big differences over time especially to primitive peoples who often survived just above starvation levels.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:40:44 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline Traxx

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 04:39:37 pm »
Since"West coast" people were mentioned in the OP,ill stick with them,since they are more my area and most studied group.The bow lengths of these people were disigned for their hunting method and style.If someone ever had a chance to examine ancient hunting sites and have elders that used them,educate you on how they hunted them,it makes perfect sense.I have examined stave trees,where a longer stave could have been extracted,but were not.That,combined with availiable wood species and climate,dictated,that a sinew backed short bow was the ticket.There were longer self bows used by people,in more humid climates,further north and south,as was mentioned allready,but in the Great basin and surounding areas,the short sinewed bow was the norm.

Especially,in the great basin area,hunting was done communally.Most often at certain times of year and by drives,that brought the larger animals into traps or cliffs,that had smaller rock blinds at the entrance and possible exits.The archers,were concealed in small non conspicious blinds that would not have accomadated a very long bow.To shoot from these small blinds,the archer just barely cleared the top of it,for the shot,to avoid flagging the game,any more than necessary.Most often,the large game,of this region,was pronghorn,and we know how jumpy they are.A heart attack waitin to happen.Contrary to popular belief,Mule Deer,were not as common in this region as they are today.Most of the old skins,were of Pronghorn and Mountain Sheep.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 05:38:22 pm »
In all cases, bow length was determined by the height of the archer or a certain measurement taken from the archer's body.  This measurement was dictated by tradition.  Of course, you could deviate from this tradition but you would be singled out as "different" if you made an unusual bow.  For example, there was a Kiowa Indian named "Big Bow". I'm sure there were others with similar names.

Today, we use formulas.  But we still tend to make bows based on looks rather than logic.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Online sleek

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 06:38:08 pm »
Honestly, I wouldnt doubt that they were concerned about set one bit. I would argue they would be concerned. It is, after all, a way to measure bow  performance. And if you ever made a bow with minimal tools, you will know you want it to perform well at the risk of having to make another. Not to mention that a bow with large set is a slow arrow caster. And we all know moisture makes a bow take set. So, the longer it is, the less strain, the less set.

Also, notice again how Traxx mentioned, sinewed bows. I cant recall anybody making long sinewed bows, only short ones. And nobody hunts with sinew in the jungle, or other wet damp places. Only in dry areas like the plains, or large portions of the west coast.

Actually, I bet you wont find a short bow in ANY of the humid areas, like jungles, any place near the equator, or tropical islands. And I bet you wont find any long bows in any drier areas either. I really think its all about performance vs climate.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 06:51:04 pm »

Dictionary, I think Oglala was referring to username Darwin, not darwinian evolution :)

Oops. I figured someone here would throw out the idea that one group of people simply chose a specific design because they were more superior to another group of people.

Bryce, why do you think that the South Americans nor the Europeans thought the same way? And once again, sure a short bow is easier in brush yet there were and still are many groups who use 6-7 foot long bows in jungles and rain forests......I guess the answer really is unattainable.

Very true, but there are alot of factors. Wood species and so on. It could also be a cultural thing.  And we all know there's a give and take with each design.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:35:17 pm by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon