Author Topic: My first bow  (Read 3170 times)

Offline WarBird

Re: My first bow
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 01:59:26 am »
Alright, thank you. I think I'll stick to the one piece for now then. Maybe I'll experiment more once I've got a bit of skill and experience under my belt.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 04:55:05 am »
Suggestions/opinions?

Congrats on your first bow! I really like the finish work. I'm always hesitant to bring up issues in people's bows that they are presenting but since you asked for suggestions and opinions I wanted to point out a spot in your tiller that might give you some trouble as you shoot your bow. Your top limb is doing almost all of it's bending right out of the handle section and that is causing a dangerous looking hinge. If it were my bow I would do my best to get the rest of the bow bending more to take pressure off of that spot. Molle's are tough to tiller and not very forgiving of mistakes. One of the only bow's I've broken was a molle, so I know.  ;) And I also concur that a one piece would be better than a three piece for your next bow. Simple bows are just as good as fancy bows and a lot easier to make. Good luck, have fun and post pictures.  8)

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 09:40:08 am »
Congratulations on a cool first bow.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 09:43:33 am »
good job on your first bow
welcome to pa!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 10:22:10 am »
Good first effort.  I agree with Weylin above.  Fix the weak spot on the top limb before it breaks or just simply gives up tryin.  None of my tillers are perfect, some aren't even good, but I recognize good tiller and strive for it on all of 'em.  Look at a few bows of this style and try to match the shape.  Welcome to PA and I look forward to your next one.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 11:41:45 am »
Congrats on your first bow. I must commend you on trying a Molle first time out. Take a look at Blackhawks Black lociust molle. Thats how the tiller should look. Good job on the effort and now go get another stave or board which ever you prefer and make another one. Oh and welcome to the addiction.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline WarBird

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 08:30:03 pm »
Thanks guys, I've worked on that upper limb more since but it is still a bit stiff. But it's good learning, I need to get a book or something on the tiller process I think because I'm just going on instinct and guts here and It's still off. Better, but not great.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 09:55:35 pm »
Never thought anything was wrong with red oak. My first twenty bows were board bows and board lams. It's a great way to start. Nice first bow, my first one never shot :) keep them coming.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250