Author Topic: Using bias grain ipe in a backed bow?  (Read 3827 times)

Offline backgardenbowyer

Using bias grain ipe in a backed bow?
« on: October 21, 2007, 01:19:35 pm »
Anyone got some advice about this.

I normally make laminated English Longbows, but my next planned project is a bamboo backed ipe flatbow.  I've got a nice bamboo backing ready cut, and I'm planning to use ipe for the belly as there is plenty of it in the woodyards here in the UK as decking planks (about 3" wide and 3/4" thick).  The trouble whilst you can find straight grained planks which are edge grained or biased grained it is almost impossible to find a plank with the grain running flat, and even if you do it swirls around all over the place.  There is no chance of following grain in a board this thin - you just have to use what is there.

Can I use bias grain or edge grain ipe in a bamboo backed bow? Will it twist, or maybe even chrysal in the belly?  If absolutely necessary I can put a centre lamimation in to stabalise the bow, but frankly I'd rather keep it simple.

Suggestions welcome - thanks for your help.

Rich Saffold

Re: Using bias grain ipe in a backed bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 02:09:03 pm »
BGB, I have used them all, and from my experience, some bias limbs will want to go sideways, and some will be fine. Usually I make the bow a little long in this case and keep the limb cross section thinner and wider than an elb deep core style.  I have used edge grain on a few bows and had good luck, although I don't think its as good as a perfect flat board, its not much of a detriment either.

Avoid swirls since ipe being so dense. any fluctuation in this is a problem. since these are small and you cant leave wood around them as we do with other woods on the back of a bow..and on the belly its where it will collapse..

Hope this helps,

Rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 03:13:37 pm »
I would think bias or edge grain wood would be preferred. I prefer bias grain first and edge grain next for boo or hickory osage bows.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 07:37:56 pm »
Thanks guys.

I did use a very rare bit of ipe with flat grain in two bamboo backed English longbows.  The first one broke on the tiller, the second I still have and it shoots like a demon, but it chysalled dangerously after only a few sessions field shooting, so I'm a bit wary!

Stan

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 06:34:07 pm »
Stan! I thought that might be yew  ;D  My first Ipe bow (ELB-style) has a hickory backing, and is very long & thin.  Shoots reasonably quickly and quietly, but has developed a bit if a hinge, I think where I didnt pay enough attention to the swirly grain.  When I get time and the inclination I'm going to pike it, and completely retiller.  A swine because it is one of the better handles I've made..However you wont see that one down at the woods until it has been redone.... :-\
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:49:07 pm »
'tis I indeed Bob.  I've got a few days off next week and fancy making another bow - but the usual trouble sourcing a decent bit of stick to start off with.  I've got some balau left over from the core of my last 3 lam elb, but I'm not sure it is good enough to make a bow on its own - even with a backing.  So if you've got all the good ipe from Champion's wood yard - I shall know whom to blame!

Stan