Author Topic: can this be done?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline KShip85

can this be done?
« on: February 11, 2013, 09:54:05 am »
I was doing some reading awhile back on for a side wood working project and read how some people will soak pieces of wood in denatured alcohol when green and then remove and let dry and it will keep from checking.  My question is has anyone ever tried doing this and if so is it possible to use the wood in a bow in the form of glued in levers or tip overlays or handle material?  I wasn't sure if the alcohol soak would weaken the wood or make it difficult to glue.  Thanks for any help.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: can this be done?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:00:29 am »
Not sure on the wreaking or glue problem but I have a friend that does a lot of bowl turning and that is what he does with green un seasoned wood and say it will stop the checking,  made me a bowl out of 3 month old Walnut that we cut on the farm it hasn't been sealed and has no checks yet, so I guess it works. :) He says it pulls all the moisture out and leaves it in it for about a week.Never thought about using it in bow work till now. ??? :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:26 am »
I've seen alcohol used while bows were being made but it was the bowyer that had soaked up the alcohol.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:03:58 am »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D seen that also Pat. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:40:07 am »
I've seen alcohol used while bows were being made but it was the bowyer that had soaked up the alcohol.  ;D

Nicely done pat haha  ;D
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline KShip85

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:26:47 pm »
Haha, I do well to keep from injuring myself or ruining a stave sober, I don't need any more impairments ;)

Offline Roy

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 12:32:57 pm »
Pat I gotta give ya a 10 on that one.

And ya wasn't referring to me was ya? LMAO

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:30 pm »
...if the shoe fits!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KShip85

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 04:23:54 pm »
Haha, well if neither of you masters have tried it and no one else has really chimed in I guess I'll be the guinea pig and give it a go :). I've secretly already had a piece of sycamore that's got some curve to it soaking and now drying.  Think I'll turn it into levers for a molle :)

Kip

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 05:59:57 pm »
It seems like in every other use it chases out water, so it should work. Are you going to use like a sealed PVC tube? I would be curious how much $$ it would cot to fill it. It seems like the stave would need to be as lean as possible to keep cost down. Please posts your results Kip.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline KShip85

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »
Hey Tracy, for a stave I'd most likely try a sealed capped 3" or 4" PVC pipe.  Right now I've got a large block I cut from a sycamore to use as spliced in levers on a molle.  Just took it out of the alcohol bath and it's drying now.  I did a test run on a cross cut sliver and it looks like it did a good job stopping the checks from happening.  I'll give a stave a go some time and post some results as well.  I have 7 gallons or so of alcohol on hand, caught them for half price a few months ago at menards and stocked up.  I might try cutting an Osage branch stripping the bark and soaking it just to test.

Kip

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 07:51:15 pm »
                             that is top shelf material there Pat
Middletown,Ohio