Author Topic: band saw questions  (Read 2454 times)

Offline tgtmatt

band saw questions
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:29 pm »
Would a 9 inch band saw work to make bows 2.5amp motor? I don't have a lot of money as of right now to spend on a 600$ machine so I decided to ask before I made any buying decisions. Ryobi, skil?

Offline WarBird

Re: band saw questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:24:49 pm »
I'd like to know as well. Did my first one with mostly a rasp and sandpaper... time consuming to say the least.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:42:57 pm »
if you have the blade set right and you have a good blade that fits well it will do the job
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:50:49 pm »
I have a 9 inch craftsman that was my first band saw.  With the 3/8" wide blade,  it will work for some bow making projects if you go slow - for board bows, and making pin nocks, arrow making etc.  I ended up buying a 14" saw pretty quick.  If you are planning on roughing out stave bows, and heavier work,  you will probably want more saw.  The little 1/4 blade that came on my little band saw was about worthless.  If you do opt for the  9" saw, get the widest blade that will fit and get the 4 tpi blades.  It will come in handy if that is all you can afford.  Been there and done that.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:52:14 pm »
Well you probably could but in the long run, I don't think you'll be happy with it.  I use a 14" Central Machinery band saw with a 3/4 hp motor.  Harbor Freight is where I bought it.  They often go on sale for $350-ish.  That's about what I paid for mine.  It's not a JET or a Grizzly but I'll tell you; I cut A LOT of osage.  The only things that wore out on it are the little blocks that guide the saw blade above and below the table in front of the roller bearings.  I cut small blocks the same size out of osage, put a drop or two of oil on them and installed them in place of the worn out plastic ones.   They've lasted longer than the originals. 

At $350, its still probably more than the one you're looking at but, wait until you can afford it.  You'll thank yourself for it.

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:31:40 am »
Check your local craigslist.  I just did a quick check in the Myrtle Beach area and found a Grizzly for $50  :o  There were no pictures so hard telling what it is or what shape it is in.  There was also a nice Ridgid saw.  Looked to be a 12" model.  You can find some great deals on there. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 12:43:24 am »
save your money while searching for a 3/4 horse 14"bandsaw.i had a 10" tabletop craftsman.it didn't have enough power and the blade was to flimsy.i then bought a 10" standup model.it was also under powered.then i found a used 3/4 horse 14" grizzly in new condition for 250.i should have not been impatient,and waited till i found a deal.i ended up spending more money on the other two saws than the grizzly.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline autologus

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 01:30:41 am »
I love my 14" Grizzly, I believe it was $444 and $79 shipping.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 04:05:20 am »
Thanks guys for all the information. It's always a good choice to ask before you buy. I'm going to call up people on craigslist about it. I just cut a crepe myrtle tree down in a nearby neighborhood, too bad it has to dry:(

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 07:21:06 am »
Yup, go to craigslist, I got mine off there. A 12 inch 1 hp Craftsman, for 60 bucks :) I couldnt have been any more happy.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 09:05:18 am »
14" would be my minimum suggested size for staves, and I wouldnt go less than 3/4 hp. Underpowered saws stall and bind alot causing the blades to kink and bend. That creates miserable cut paths and finishes. Good saws and good blades are truley pricless. I never had one until I could afford a good one. I just used my drawknife for the dirty work.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 10:39:06 am »
I have a Craftsman Pro 14" 1 HP, and I wouldn't want anything less. If money is tight, be patient and look for used.

Offline osagejack

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 10:53:17 am »
I got mine from lowes the 14in it works well and is around 400 but all I use mine for is removing excess belley wood, ;and shaping the handle I still don't trust myself following the grain on the sides,

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 10:56:31 am »
I just got a 9" delta for a great price off Craig's List. I do not have a shop, so needed something I could move easily. I wanted to be able to slice billets as well as save time and effort. 9" is better than nothing, but you will be happier with a 14 if you have a place to keep it. I found several 14 inch on Craig's list for 200 - 300.