Author Topic: bamboo dragon 61 ntn  (Read 7258 times)

Offline Gaur

bamboo dragon 61 ntn
« on: February 07, 2013, 01:42:20 pm »
James Parker as been my guide on making the bamboo backed and bellied style laminated bows.  This is my third attempt at one and this is the best one so far.  I ground my own laminates out of osage and burmese redwood.  Got James' old drum sander off him for a bunch of buffalo horns and made some visitors bring it in their luggage to Thailand  :-\.  Doesn't run quite as good here as the hrz are slower than the US but it gets the job done.  The riser is made from Thai rosewood.  I found a old house post that was 5 x 5 " and 12 feet long so you'll see me using this frequently for riser material.  I think I paid about $50 for that ;).   The bamboo was some nice japanese madake that I traded some buffalo horns for.  I made this another take down as I brought the bamboo over in my duffle to Thailand so had to cut it in half :(.

Here's the bow on the form.  I used twine and bamboo wedges.  I also had some memory foam to keep the bamboo from splitting under the pressure on the form.  A separate piece of bamboo is laid on top to protect the bow's bamboo from the wedges.

The bamboo wedges put in from the sides were to help get good compression in the fade outs. 

Next morning out of the hot box

I think at this point the bow was 66" long

"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Gaur

Re: bamboo dragon 61 ntn
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:59:18 pm »
Happy with the glue lines.  I love the rosewood riser.  Might have been better color selection to have two burmese redwood lams next to the bamboo and the center lam osage but as it ages the osage should darken up and contrast with the bamboo more.  I've just put a coat or two of tru oil on so far.

my bamboo backing ended up a bit too thick in places.

I used a stainless steel sleeve and brass sleeve combo for the take down again and covered it up with some thai rattan.  I really like rattan grips as they don't get slimy like leather in the rain and have a nice feel to them.

carbonized belly bamboo

I had a curve in one limb near the tip that was throwing my string off center so I decided to cut down the bow shorter to 62" That helped.  Still a little curve and that puts the string over towards  my arrow shelf.

there is a funky section just out of the lower fade.  Problem is that there is a thick node just a few inches beyond the fade and so the bow is a bit hinged just out of the fade before the fat node.  I 've tried narrowing it at the node, trapping the node and knee tillering the area but I think there will always be a hinge there.  It comes out a bit when the bow is drawn

not perfect but it shoots well.  Gives a guy more respect for this style bow and how hard they are to make well.  I still can't find my luggage scale that I use to check the weight but I am guessing it is in the upper 40# range and it spits an arrow nicely.  Thanks for all the help James.    Hope I haven't given away any of those secrets you make me swear to bring to the grave with me. >:D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:02:21 pm by Gaur »

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:29 pm »
VERY cool :) I think I'm in love  :-*
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Gaur

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »
Thanks Will.  Yeah there is something about this style bow that both looks great and shoots well.  How many other wood bows could handle a hinge like that?  I hope to get my node layout better on the next one.  I plan to try using all Thai woods and thai bamboo too.  I don't think the Thai bamboo is as good as the madake but it should do the trick.

I'm off to bed.  Its 12:40 am here in Thailand and I am fighting a cold.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:36:28 pm »
Sweet looking bow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »
Dang Randy! Your pushing that bugger to the limit. Great glue lines.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:58:57 pm »
Thanks Trapper Rob.

Chris.  Yes I probably should just draw it 27".  I think that last picture was the first time I drew it back that far.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:09:09 pm »
Thats a beauty Gaur, mighty fine! :)

Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:52:01 pm »
Thanks Greg.

Forgot to mention that the limbs at their widest point are just 1".  Its a real light bow in the hands.  Would have been feather lite without the take down sleeves.

For tips I used some marcata overlays. 

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:44 pm »
came out nice  randy,, glue lines are very good,, great color combo too,, pics are wonderfull,,,,,,,,, james

Offline Gaur

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:50 pm »
Thanks Sensei ;)

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 09:58:37 pm »
Very very very very very very very NICE!   Looks great!  Excellent job on the glue lines.  The riser is beautiful!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Gaur

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 02:41:25 am »
Thanks Arrowind.  Appreciate the kind words.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 02:47:59 am »
beautiful! i think your job on this bow was superb!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 05:53:02 am »
Nice job and sounds like you had some pretty good guidance along the way.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good