Author Topic: Brass boppers and pressure flakers?  (Read 6311 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Brass boppers and pressure flakers?
« on: February 07, 2013, 12:39:35 pm »
Will brass work for making bobbers and flakers? I'm just starting into knapping and was trying to round up some tool material. I don't have antler or copper handy at the moment, but do have various sizes of brass rod.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Tower

Re: Brass boppers and pressure flakers?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:20:38 pm »
I believe brass is too hard. You need a softer metal like copper or aluminum. The metal deforms slightly when striking the platform allowing more energy to build before the flake releases. Harder metals do not allow much energy to be built up. They crush the platform.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:11:54 pm »
I was afraid of that.  Thanks

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 02:12:22 pm »
What tower said. Stick with copper ;) may I also suggest taking the plunge and just buying tools. Flintknappingtools .com has some really great stuff. I started out making my own but nowadays I really prefer to buy.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:45:02 pm »
Thanks Will H, I just put an order through to 3rivers for a kit and some extra obsidian. I also am going to try glass (there's a glass company close) to practice on. Any other words of wisdom? I aim to get some real "hands on" at the Classic but don't want to look like an eegit when I show up.

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 04:01:06 pm »
No one looks like an eegit. We were all newbies at one time. Knap-ins are the best place to learn several styles of knapping.   Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline StevenT

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:38:13 pm »
I can concur with what what Tower said. When I made it to the Classic, I was as green as you could get knapping. But it is the best group of people you will ever meet and they will give you all kinds of help. It is a great place to learn.

As for another tip on working with obsidian or glass..... Wear gloves, safety glasses and be damned careful. Have some band aids and super glue on hand because you will need them. I don't care how careful you are... at some point you will bleed. But it is great material to learn on.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:21:46 pm »
I agree with the others , brass is too hard, I started with plumbing caps filled with lead, an later dedcided to buy some solid copper boppers, I didn,t like them because they were harder than my homemades, went back to making my own, I do think if I stayed with the solid harder ones I would get use to them. Everybody starts out as a newbie so don't worry about it, and the classic is a great place to learn to knap. Lots of really good knappers an small enough to not be overwhelming, Hope to see ya there, I,m usually in the knapping pit at first lite an don't leave until the lighting gets to bad. :o :o About midnite for this ole boy ;D ;D Later Bob

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:37 pm »
Hope to meet ya Bob.  Thanks

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:08:52 pm »
Like the others said, don't worry bout it. Just come on down and enjoy yourself :) There will be lots of folks in the pit all pretty willin to help out. I hope I'll get some time in there myself when I'm not busy workin the event. As for words of wisdom... Id say beat up as much stinkin rock as you can before now and then and then get ready to beat up some more ;) takes alot of rock to get the hang of this knappin thing :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:53 am »
Yep, what Will, Tower and Bob said, you have to start at the bottom. The pit at the Classic will tighten up that learning curve, though. And I buy my tools at the same place as Will. Mark Bracken makes some quality tools for what you pay.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 06:34:22 pm »
What's an eegit?

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 06:55:54 pm »
Don't pass up Toilet tanks aka johns stone to knapp. Everyone wants to make points starting out and thats ok. But do your precustion work to make preforms. When you get a plie of them start to make them better. Buy the time u get thru a good size pile u will have learned much. That is the frist step in thinning. Then work on presure flaking. Look to utude for knapping video there is a lot of info to see there. Looking forword to see ya grow In lithic reduction.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:23:18 pm »
What's an eegit?
An eegit is a southern Appalachian way of saying "idiot" or at least that's my take on it.  :laugh:

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:13:51 am »
Hey Gsulfridge  I have tons of different colored obsidian.  You have anything to trade?  I can spall it up for ya if you want.

Tell
Tell Riley