Author Topic: In progress Roman manuballista - torsion arrow firing machine  (Read 81033 times)

Offline jpitts

Re: In progress Roman manuballista - torsion arrow firing machine
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2007, 05:17:26 pm »
sounds like it's gonna be a fun camp fire :D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Eric Kol

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2007, 12:01:03 pm »
Man, I just looked at the last even pages of this thread.
Being new to this forum, two things impressed me big time,
the prjoject itself, the obvious work that is going into the research (book on horse hair rope making?!?!) and the enthusiasm.
and secondly the overwhelming positive support from your buddies! It's like making rock soup, where evryone brings something to the pot. Again, I'm impressed and am eagerly looking forward to watching this unfold! Right on.

Lets see if you all get so worked up when I make a Roman period earwax harvester, complete with type 18 (or is it 16 3/4) socket mounted horse hair    q-tip. This little guy accounted for many brutal deaths and complete ear canal domination for quite some time!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2007, 03:37:36 pm »
Sound like it would rub ya the wrong way!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline jpitts

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2007, 12:20:37 am »
bet them "wild hairs" hurt   ;D ::)
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Dane

« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2007, 03:18:29 pm »
Guys, I got swamped totally with work and Thanksgiving and life stuff. I'll reply in full tonight, and thanks for all the interest.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2007, 06:22:37 am »
Man, I just looked at the last even pages of this thread.
Being new to this forum, two things impressed me big time,
the prjoject itself, the obvious work that is going into the research (book on horse hair rope making?!?!) and the enthusiasm.
and secondly the overwhelming positive support from your buddies! It's like making rock soup, where evryone brings something to the pot. Again, I'm impressed and am eagerly looking forward to watching this unfold! Right on.

Lets see if you all get so worked up when I make a Roman period earwax harvester, complete with type 18 (or is it 16 3/4) socket mounted horse hair    q-tip. This little guy accounted for many brutal deaths and complete ear canal domination for quite some time!

Those Roman q-tips are quite leathal, so be careful when you test them. I understand when the Romans sacked a town, they methodically killed every living thing in sight, including women, childern, dogs, cats, everything. They may have used those earwax harvesters to do that. Once the town surrendered, they spared those with dirty ears, and commenced looting.

Got some more work done on the machine. The front tenion is almost done, and I've started making molding patterns.

I've appreciated all the ecouraging words from all of you. Not an easy project, but knowing folks are watching and positive about it really helps when the going gets tough.

Dane

Offline Loki

« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2007, 01:03:39 pm »
I wouldnt recommend using the wax spoons Eric,if that thing goes in too far it will rupture your eardrum and it's not nice lying down for three months waiting for your equilibrium to come back,i've had it twice!
Nothing to do with those thing's i must add  :D.

I understand when the Romans sacked a town, they methodically killed every living thing in sight, including women, childern, dogs, cats, everything.

Depends what you mean by 'Sack',not all beaten foes were treated to 'havoc' that was reserved for the enemies who Rome feared the most or those who betrayed her.The usual treatment of 'beaten' people was to be sold into slavery,the army functioned on slave money especially during the Republic when that was what the men fought for,paywise.

"Cry Havoc!and let slip the dog's of war.."

"Let them loose!! "

Titus Flavius Sabinus Vespasianus demolished Jerusalem for their betrayal and refusal to surrender,he killed everyone in the city even the animals,pulled down all the building's,including Herods temple.One part of the temple outer wall was left standing,that's the wailing wall the Jews in Israel pray at today.Titus built the Colosseum with the money he plundered from Jerusalem.

When Manilius and Scipio sacked Carthage,they destroyed the city (they didnt salt the eart thats ridiculous,salt cost a fortune in 148BC) but they sold the 50,000 inhabitant's into slavery,not that they needed too,the cash they got from that City was what built Rome into the greatest Empire the world's ever seen,IMHO.

There was allso seiges when the Generals lost control of the men and they charged into the slaughter before be ordered to do so,such as Aviricum when the mighty Caesar didnt order the sack but it was done anyway.

Any city/town or Fort could surrender at anytime right up untill the first Ram touches the wall/gate.Once the Ram had touched surrender wouldnt be accepted,they were coming in! and we know how good the Roman army was at Seige,Alesia  WOW :D .

Pax

Andy

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:12:51 pm by Loki »
Durham,England

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2007, 02:53:14 pm »

I've appreciated all the ecouraging words from all of you. Not an easy project, but knowing folks are watching and positive about it really helps when the going gets tough.

Dane

We are not merely watching, we are sitting on the edges of our seats!  If you ever have a moment to spare, even if you think you have not made sufficient progress to merit a new pic, post one anyway, we are that eager ... from a different angle, of you tools … we really need one of the parts with Davenport, for perspective.   ;)
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Dane

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2007, 02:58:51 pm »
Andy, thanks for the brief history lesson! Facinating stuff!

Wolfsire, can do and thanks for the words. Davenport will be happy to have her picture posted. And more from me soon on the project, when I get a free moment.

Dane

Offline DanaM

« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2007, 08:59:09 pm »
Dane when this done I want to come play with yer toys, they are so much cooler than mine ;D
Did I say cooler man I'm showing my age eh. ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2007, 05:32:47 am »
Well, groovy is a regular vocabulary word for me, so I guess I am stuck in the 70s, lol.

I've been up since 2:00 AM (has to do with a bus and a TV show in NY, dropped the wife off at her college, and now I can't sleep), Davenport the Pug is laying on the couch near my desk and snoring, so if you don't mind, I'll blab a bit. 

Found a couple of groovy books that relate to this project. One I found in a used book store last week, called "Catapult: Harry and I Build a Siege Weapon," by Jim Paul, published in 1991. It's a strange and fun book, this guy's ruminations as he and a buddy build a catapult. The weapon they build is not Roman, but is basically two huge truck leaf springs bolted to a 10 foot long beam, with a comealong to span it. He goes into all kinds of ancient and bibilcal history, the origins of iron smelting, his relationship with his father, geology and paleohistory, scavanging for parts, and lots more.

I also found this little phamphlet called "Making Horsehair Rope" by Diane Gadway and Richard Schneider, published in 1993. Essentially, it is how to build a primative rope walk using 3 people to make rope, using techniques still used in Mexico. The techniques and processes they outline in the book are essentially the same as the rope makers who made the countless miles of rope in seaports all over the world (the rope jack, which you crank on to twist the smaller stands into rope, is called the Tosidora, and the traveler, which a second man used to keep tension on the other end of the ropes (the bitter ends) is called a Yegua in Spanish) until the age of sail ended and automatic machinery replaced skilled rope making.

There is one historic working ropewalk in the world in England, but here in Charlestown Naval Yard, outside of Boston, is the longest ropewalk (and maybe the only one left) in the US. I'll have to go visit it one day. They call them ropewalks, by the way, as the master rope maker has to walk backwards. They did a ton of walking, as a matter of fact, and for the really huge cable laid ropes that you could moor a ship with, it took 200 men to make the rope (and btw, the ropewalk building was very long and narrow, and the ultimate length of the rope was determined by the length of the building. Imagine a low brick shed, but hundreds of feet long, up to 240 yards long).

Luckily, I don't need rope that big.

I wonder if I can talk my wife into helping me? Mmmmm....maybe not. I don't know if I can do it alone, but there is a solution to every problem. No worries now though. Probably bribe someone with pizza and beer into helping me.

Here is a link to how to build a miniature ropewalk for making rope for model ship buidling, so you can get an idea of how they work in practice. A tiny one like this might be neat to build for making bowstings? I'll have to give it a go one day, just to see. It would also be good practice before I put together the full-sized rope jack, traveler, and top. How the Romans made rope, I am not sure right now, but I understand these tools date to the medieval period, so I still need to research all this some more. No one, of course, will know if I use 19th century-style tools, so be very quiet.

http://www.members.cox.net/elarson5/ropewalk.htm

One of Lil's collegues was over for a bit last night, a fellow English professor. The bundle of horsehair was on the dining room table where they were sitting and talking, and she asked about it. So, I had to explain that I am building a couple of siege engines, and got the "you are a weirdo" look, polite but unmistakable.

And that is all from me for now. Thanks for indulging me.

Dane
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 06:14:25 am by Dane »

Offline Dane

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2007, 06:43:17 pm »
Just finished up a project-in-progress, a miniature rope jack and traveler. I am going to bend the brass rods into the correct hook and crank shapes tomorrow, and then make a hardwood 3-strand top (granada or pomegranate in Spanish - kind of makes me think of carne assada and maragritas!). I can practice with this small one, and then build much larger tools, using thick hardwood planks. This was made from a hickory plank I had in my shop, and the rods and the sleeves are brass stock from a hobby store.

This has been a fun mini-project, and I hope to try it out soon, using some linen thread. I wonder if this would be any good for making bow strings? I will post photos showing it in action soon.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2007, 08:05:35 pm »
Yer a man of many talents Dane. Obiously yer way too edukated to really be a redneck ;)
Thats ok we still like ya ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2007, 06:11:11 am »
Dude, how can I be a redneck when I'm from Southern Cal, and hence, a surfer boy? :)

Thanks Dana.

Offline Loki

« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2007, 04:02:06 am »
Looking good Dane,did the jack work?
Durham,England