Author Topic: In progress Roman manuballista - torsion arrow firing machine  (Read 81059 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: In progress Roman manuballista - torsion arrow firing machine
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2007, 03:47:43 pm »
Good Flicka! Good Flika!!! BANG!!! BETTER FLIKA!!!!  >:D See Franch Se likes them horses Unh, Hungh, Hunh! Ne ce Pas!!!   >:D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Dane

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2007, 08:02:39 pm »
Okay, more building photos.

I have rough cut the tenon that will hold the stock onto the spring frame. Notice, no nails or screws to keep the machine together. The machine will break down into the stock and the frame components when done.

I still have final fitting to do (hence it sticks out here), but the little dovetailed piece will be pegged and glued between the two interior uprights. The dovetailed slot will match up with the stock dovetail. Then the slider is inserted into both. Then I can work down the stock to final dimensions and start planing and sanding the stock. I will also begin the horizontal belly brace, which fits onto the end of the stock . That is what you lean on to push the slider up as you span (draw) the weapon. The last big step for the stock is the cut in slots for the linear ratchet, one on each side. I can make the pattern to cast those out of bronze once I have that step done.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline jpitts

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2007, 12:22:09 am »
Wow.....she's gonna be heavy ain't she.....I can't wait to see this thing fling a sapling....
Isn't Archimede's the one that came up with this original design?   I mean the torsion springs?
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Dane

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2007, 01:48:47 pm »
Hi Jimmy. Thanks for the comments. Not sure if the principle was developed by Achimedes, though the idea does come out of Greece. These machines date back to at least 400 BC, so pretty ancient. I am not sure anyone knows exactly when the torsion spring was applied to siege engines, though. Up till then, they were using composite bows (some just gigantic), and had reached the upper limits of what that could do in a war engine.

Offline Loki

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2007, 08:18:49 pm »
Archimede's was the man who figured out the Block and tackle lever system "Give me a place to stand on, and I will move the Earth."  ;D.He invented a lot of useful objects,hiis Screw invention for draining water was a wonder for the irrigation of Egypt's fields after the annual Nile flooding but i'm dubius on the Military inventions.I could see the Sun ray what he 'supposedly' used to burn Roman Galley's doing damage to the mens eye's but set a sail on fire......And how about his 'Ships Claw',getaway! A claw for picking up attacking ships and capsizing them  ;D,nahh i'm not buying that!
Imagine what he could of done for Rome if Marcellus had managed to get to him before that legionarie had shoved his Gladii into his Gut's at Syraccuse,such a waist of a wonderful mind.

As you say Dane the Horsehair string is historicaly accurate so no disapointment from me mate,this thing's looking great!
The head should be arriving soon Dane,let me know when it arrives safe.

Pax
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2007, 09:05:04 pm »
Hey, I need to build one of those gigantic claws! Then I can threaten cruise ships unless they send down women and beer, :)

Andy, it arrived today! What a thing of beauty it is, too! I can't thank you enough. Hector Cole does amazing work, and seeing it in person is far more satisfying than in photos.

I may be the first kid on my block, and even the state of Massachusetts with one of his points, thanks to you. It will do some evil damage. Not to Frenchmen, but maybe Gauls? :)

Dane

Offline Loki

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2007, 10:12:25 pm »
WOW,that was quick! Its nice isnt it?i was tempted....... ;D
Hector Cole is a damn fine Arrowsmith allright,his points are top notch and this machine deserves no less,i'm glad you like it Dane it was my pleasure.

Aye,Gaul's will do  >:D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:18:49 pm by Loki »
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2007, 06:48:55 pm »
Okay, kids, another installment of "How the Torsion Machine Turns." I just got finished with some work, mostly working on the stock and slider, much better looking, and I also glued in that dovetail piece between the uprights (pegging it tomorrow). I have also placed the FANTASTIC, WONDERFUL point Loki send me on the machine so you could see that. The walnut dowl is the right length for the bolts, 12.5", and the correct diameter.

I still have a lot of work to do on the front tenion, but it is coming along.

And happy Thanksgiving to all! Guess what I am making for dinner tomorrow? :)

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Loki

« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2007, 07:53:56 pm »
Looking good Dane,i hope that head doesnt get caught up in the channel on release,that could be very nasty  :-[.
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2007, 08:08:08 pm »
Thanks, Andy, and I dont think that will be an issue at all. Should have a nice smooth release up the groove and to the Gaul's filtthy head, :)

Funny thing, my wife just came downstairs and saw it. She suddenly realizes this is not just some toy. You could kill someone with that thing, she said. I am very proud of myself, lol.

Dane

Offline DanaM

« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2007, 09:07:01 pm »
And rightly so Dane, Its looking really good. You should come to pappy's in May and bring your toys ;D
If anywhere along the line you need sinew for this death device let me know I have tons of it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2007, 09:17:05 am »
Thanks much, Dana. And thanks for the sinew offer. I don't think so, but if I do, I will let you know.

This is one of the most fun projects I have ever undertaken. No spining of arrows, either! I wonder if it would be legal to hunt game with this thing in Massachusetts? Kind of doubt it. I do believe that crossbows are illegal in the state, but this is not a crossbow, though.

I'd love to go to the Tennessee classic this coming year, or any year. Bit of a drive, but I can't think of a nicer vacation. One day, and I will bring the machines with me. My concertina too, to torture all the Rebs :)

Offline jpitts

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »
You could probably swing that as a cross bow....just a big one...LOL's...
You bring a squeeze box down here and we'll have you playing Cajun music in no time.... ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Loki

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2007, 09:39:44 pm »
 ;D
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2007, 09:38:53 am »
I'd love to learn some Cajun tunes. Got the sea chanties down, and some beloved murder ballads. Good to expand your repetoire, to use a French word :)