Author Topic: In progress Roman manuballista - torsion arrow firing machine  (Read 81012 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: In progress Roman manuballista - torsion arrow firing machine
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2007, 10:49:19 am »
Davenport is giving ya the "Foolish Human" look ;D

Cool contraption Dane, looks like the end is in sight eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2007, 11:08:35 am »
Thanks Dana. Me, a foolish human? She is sitting in my lap as I type this message, of course, so you are onto something.

The major work is now casting and fitting the plating, the washers, making the rope, making the trigger assembly, and then finishing the wood. I may add some Egyptian eyes or something ancient and nifty so the gods can help me hit my target. Legio III, which is the legion my group portrays, was stationed in Alexandria, and is sometimes called the African or the Egyptian Legion. I need to also name the machine when it is done. I'm shooting for March to finished it and start shooting it.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Far East Archer

« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2007, 12:31:28 pm »
Very cool Dane! I really like how this is coming along, hope it works out how you want it to! Take care mate! :)

-Alex

Offline Dane

« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2007, 09:04:48 pm »
Thanks Alex. So, far, so good.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2007, 02:01:35 pm »
I made the dado joint this morning. This is my first-ever dado joint, so I pleased. After squaring up the end of the stock with a table saw, and measuring the width of the joint, I set the depth of the blade, and then made a number of passes with the table saw, cleaned it up with a wood chisel, and used a wood file to finish the joint. I was planning to peg the brace to the stock, but I don't think that will be necessary - it is very solid.

Here is the machine now, on my kitchen table (laboratory? :) ). It weighs a shade over 11 pounds as it stands now.

As I had indicated befoe, I still have a bit to do in various places, such as the front tenion, and the slider, but the woodwork is essentially done now.

Although I have seen zero reconstructed / interpreted torsion machines (tormenta was one name the Romans used, and one of my favorites) finished in an other way besides natural wood, I plan to paint this machine in bright hues. I feel very strongly that paint was used on siege engines. They were very expensive to manufacture, and the ballistrarii who build and used the machines would have lavished as much care on them as possible. Our concept of camoflauged weapons was unknown in the Classical world, and weapons were lavished with decorations. Romans liked bling.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dane

« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2007, 02:06:46 pm »
And here is the machine as it now looks.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2007, 06:07:38 pm »
Coming along very nice.  Interesting note on painting.  Can you make it more intemidating that way? >:D
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Dane

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2007, 06:26:39 pm »
Hi, Wolfsire. Not sure if it will be more intimidating that way, but shiner. :) So, to an enemy of Rome, with thousands of legionaries marching upon the field of battle, bronze belt plates gleaming, cinculums glittering, vexillums snapping in the breeze, and armor shined brightly, I think yeah, it would be more intimidating. A nice rule of thumb is if you were on the field of battle in the morning, you remained on the field of battle that night.

Just no shark's mouths for this small ballista, by Vulcan! :)

Scarlet and gold are very much Roman colors, and the bronze by default gives me the gold.

My biggest problem for paint ideas is trying to research ancient paint. Most folks seem to like milk paint, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. It seems very 17th and 18th century, not 1st AD. That is my impression, at least. Even in Elizabethan times, all those fantastic looking exposed beams we love now were covered up by paint, sometimes in really fanciful ways, such as to simulate stone. The Roman and Greek statues you see in museums were polychromatic, meaning many colors, not plain white marble like we 21st century folks are used to. Shields were painted, carts were painted, buildings were painted, ships were painted. Torsion machines must have been painted. That is my feeling, in any case.

Dane

Offline DanaM

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2007, 07:14:15 pm »
Can't help but notice but Davenport is still giving ya the" It Don't Impress Me" look ;D

I'm impressed if thats any consolation, bring it to Pappy's in May so we can play ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Loki

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2007, 07:24:04 pm »
 Here's a famous (copy) statue of the great one shown as it was meant to be seen,painted up in technicolour.

Just no shark's mouths for this small ballista, by Vulcan

;D

My biggest problem for paint ideas is trying to research ancient paint.

I'll ask the Lord of the Herb's on UNRV forum for some paint advice,he should know,i'll get back to you Dane.

Pax

Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2007, 07:34:14 pm »
Can't help but notice but Davenport is still giving ya the" It Don't Impress Me" look ;D

I'm impressed if thats any consolation, bring it to Pappy's in May so we can play ;)

Oh, she is very impressed. She is just good at hiding her emotions.

Thanks, Dana. I would love to do Pappy's event. If not this year, next year I hope. Sounds like a total blast. Even the wife thinks it would be a great time. :)

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2007, 07:35:13 pm »
Here's a famous (copy) statue of the great one shown as it was meant to be seen,painted up in technicolour.

Just no shark's mouths for this small ballista, by Vulcan

;D

My biggest problem for paint ideas is trying to research ancient paint.

I'll ask the Lord of the Herb's on UNRV forum for some paint advice,he should know,i'll get back to you Dane.

Pax

Andy, always great you are! Thanks. Sadly, I got one of those darned red Xs - the picture doesn't like me, I think.

Dane

Offline Loki

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2007, 07:43:54 pm »
Hmmm i wonder why you cant see it  ???
Anyway,it's that Statue of Augustus but with colours  ;D

I've sent him a PM Dane,he'll probably get back to me tomorrow with the answers.He'll know how the Romans mixed their paint's but be warned,it may involve some crushed shellfish if you want Blues or Purples  :o

Pax
Durham,England

Offline Dane

« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2007, 09:14:04 pm »
Andy, still a blank screen, but with a purple background. I'll try googling it later.

Thanks about that paint fellow! Actually, the crushed creatures don't really phase me. To get a good red color in hand dying fabric and yarn, one is made from cochineal, and is available from some sources. Expensive, if I recall right.

Dane

Offline Loki

« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2007, 08:04:22 pm »
Dane i got this message from UNRV,it appears it may be a few weeks until i can get the paint info to you,Sorry mate.

Andy,Forgive me for this intrusion to your PM Inbox. Pertinax has asked me to pass on a message to you saying he will be off forum for a short while but will help you as soon as he can when he returns.

That is all I know so I assume you will know what he means. Can you let me know you get this OK?
Brian
Durham,England