Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 566134 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #2115 on: August 18, 2013, 08:53:41 am »
Hi all! I received my trade bow Friday all the way from Oregon. Thanks Josh! Fine job on a sweet oceanspray bow! I think it's the first bow from oceanspray I've ever seen, and I'm impressed with the strength of the bow...shoots quite snappy! I really appreciate it and will definitely enjoy it! Pappy took some pictures of it yesterday at Twin Oaks while we were having an archery shoot...I'm sure he'll post the pictures. Thanks again! Greg
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2116 on: August 18, 2013, 11:17:28 am »
Kelly G - I think it would look sweeeet either way.  Nice job.
1442 - Really really like that one!

danny f -   I feel your pain.  That's about what happend to me. Never did I think it would take me 5 tries to finally make one I was happy with let alone functioning.  It's frustrating, discouraging, maddening, stressful and embarrassing.  Your last bow looked really really nice to me.  Anyone would love it! I'm sure the next one will be even better. (no pressure  ;D)  Like others have said.  It's worth the wait.  I believe the trade is supposed to be more about the giving....but anyone would be lucky to get a bow you've made.  stick with it.  You will feel glad you did and a sense of relief when it's all said and done.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

blackhawk

« Reply #2117 on: August 19, 2013, 10:05:08 am »
I won't say names yet because a few are close to being shipped now....BUT if you haven't gotten your bow shipped in a month you'll more than likely be asked not to ship as we have a few good guys on stand by ready to fill in and step up to fill dead shoes and help get this trade wrapped up...and you will more than likely be banned from any future trades here,and your names will be going in a few of our black books,and it will even make it hard for you to trade on the trading post as well...I will be sending out pms to the folks who are late and not close to being shipped as of right now...if you work with us and let us know it'll make things a lot easier on us..and your self...if you know you can't in a month and aren't going to,then please say so now so I can let the alternates know to go ahead and finish up the blanks they already have started....

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2118 on: August 19, 2013, 03:31:51 pm »
Hopefully I can keep off the blacklist...just delivered mine today to Steve B. 
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41717.0.html

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:01:33 pm by Carson (CMB) »
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #2119 on: August 19, 2013, 06:08:48 pm »
I got my Texas longbow in the mail today from k-hat and it sure is nice! I'll be sure to get some pics up after shooting it tonight. Thanks again Kevin, and also thanks to all that put this trade together. This was my first bow trade, and I can't wait to do it again.

Offline WoodBenderDW

« Reply #2120 on: August 19, 2013, 08:47:20 pm »
The bow is tillered evenly.  I went to the local archery shop today to check the draw weight.  It's a touch heavy still.  Will have to shave a touch more off tomorrow and should be ready to put a finish on tomorrow or the next day.  I'm hoping to have it completed by Sunday.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2121 on: August 19, 2013, 08:50:26 pm »
Woodbender, if that happens to be for me  (and the odds are improving that it is ;) )  I will take it on the heavy side.  If it bends even that is all that matters to me. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2122 on: August 19, 2013, 08:53:58 pm »
Glad it got to you Greg I enjoyed building it!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2123 on: August 19, 2013, 10:50:35 pm »
Thanks again Josh! Pappy posted a couple of pictures on the Life is Good string under "Primitive Skills".
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline KellyG

« Reply #2124 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:50 pm »
I scrapped a bit more on mine. She is pulling nicely I may put some skins on her tomorrow.

Here are the braced, unbraced and full draw pics.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2125 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:44 am »
Looks real good Kelly
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #2126 on: August 20, 2013, 05:14:59 pm »
My Trade Bow went out UPS yesterday...
Tracking says it will arrive in North East Texas by Friday morning or there bouts...
So be on the lookout for a Shiny new white PVC tube...

I'll get the photos up this evening.

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #2127 on: August 20, 2013, 09:37:37 pm »
I received my trade bow today from JW Halverson...AWESOME! Thanks JW..I will get picks up as soon as possible-Hammertime

Offline Gus

« Reply #2128 on: August 20, 2013, 10:37:50 pm »
Here is my Outbound 2013 Trade Bow...

Roo Rawhide backed Osage Molly with Texas Ebony tip overlays and Bison Arrow Pass.
The Grip Wrap is Roo Leather bound with Roo Lace.
Skin from an Eastern Coachwip applied with Tight Bond Hide Glue.
I did dye the Roo Rawhide with Fiebrings Medium Brown before laying down the skins.
Finished with 14 coats of Tru-Oil steel wooled after every third coat.

61" nock to nock.
62" over all.
58# @ 28"

-gus
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:30:33 am by Gus »
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #2129 on: August 20, 2013, 10:41:04 pm »
Couple more...

Upper Limb:

Lower Limb:

Got this Stave from Pearl Drums last year in Trade.
Thank You P.D.!

:)

-gus

Conroe, TX