Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 565814 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #630 on: February 25, 2013, 09:10:27 am »
Working on three different bows for the trade to choose from. Got the hhb tillered Friday and afterwards put it back on the form for a little heat treating and reflex...going to give it a week or so before I restring it and tweak the tiller if needed. Came out 47#@27", should be in the low 50's after the heat treating...my guy wanted 45-55 range.

Also worked on a couple of osage bows, came out of the same log as what Pappy is working on. I got two bows from my piece.  Got them laid out, and cut out after we finished with the boy scouts Saturday afternoon. Sunday got them both close to floor tiller, and ready for the form. Both of them looking good, shouldn't be any issues...pretty clean wood. Pics on "Life is Good" thread. My guy has a lot of osage looks like, so I'm leaning on going with the hhb right now. I really like hhb, I think it is the best white wood I've worked with. This will be my 6th or 7th bow out of hhb I think.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

blackhawk

« Reply #631 on: February 25, 2013, 09:57:10 am »
Sounds sweet to me Greg..id take a hhb bow from ya in a heartbeat...love the stuff too...and how did you guys still have energy to work on your own bows after teaching them teeny boppers?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #632 on: February 25, 2013, 10:10:23 am »
It was a busy couple of days for sure Chris,but most of the guys still had a little left to work on some of their own stuff. I am leaning toward a Persimmon,it came off my farm and I don't think the guy I got has that where he lives, also over lays from a deer I killed and brain tanned leather also from a deer I killed and brain tanned. :)  Little more personal I am thinking.We will see how it turns out before I decide. It is looking good so far out to brace. :) Hope to get it tillered this week. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline coaster500

« Reply #633 on: February 25, 2013, 12:02:20 pm »
"It's a tri lam hackberry walnut ERC with spliced in sycamore levers Molly" and peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers............    :laugh:

Cool bow Kip!!!

I like it Pappy.....  giving someone something they might not be able to get their hands on and from the home front to boot :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #634 on: February 25, 2013, 12:04:47 pm »
WOW!!! I'm on the road for a couple weeks and come back to 43 pages of master pieces being built! Looks like everyone is off to a great start! 

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #635 on: February 25, 2013, 12:13:18 pm »
 ;D OK i guess ill post a couple of pics of first choice for trade bow. >:D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #636 on: February 25, 2013, 02:28:28 pm »
just checking in, i'm still letting my osage pyramid bow dry out a bit, monitoring the mass as the days go by. In the meantime i'm working on a little hickory recurve, and an osage character bow. 
45# at 27"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #637 on: February 25, 2013, 02:57:56 pm »
Looks like a katt bow to me!

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #638 on: February 25, 2013, 03:00:31 pm »
       so far i have two mollies in the works, one hackberry, and one hickory. I'm thinking of starting one
    of a very thin ringed osage. which makes me wonder if one of you osage guys would recommend
 dimensions of limb width for mollie made of osage. just want to see what you guys say

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline JonW

« Reply #639 on: February 25, 2013, 03:32:15 pm »
Chuck this is strictly my opinion. Ilike Osage molly limbs wide and thin. Depends on what length and draw weight your shooting for.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #640 on: February 25, 2013, 04:05:38 pm »
Chuck.  I've only built one Molly, so I am far from an expert.  But as an opinion I would offer this.  Like JonW said, a lot depends on length of the bow, length of working limbs, draw length and draw weight.  Mine was Osage, 64" oal.  13.75" working limb (each).  I was 1 15/16" wide at the handle fade and 1 11/16 wide at the lever fade, 50ish at 27 inches.  This was a rather non-dense Osage stave for what it's worth.  It took under 2 inches of set at those dimensions.  Hope that helps ya.  Good luck.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

blackhawk

« Reply #641 on: February 25, 2013, 04:15:42 pm »
I'm no expert on Molly's chuck but slimbobs general dimensions sound good to me... ;)

Would everyone stop making these dang Molly's...its really making me want to make another one...but I don't want to build another one and I don't need another one...oh wait...yes I do >:D

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #642 on: February 25, 2013, 05:45:53 pm »
         ok thank you guys, i apologize for being so vague. the question was meant to be about wood types
  white woods vs osage. all things being equal osage limb width can be narrower than other(second  >:D )
  woods.
          yes blackhawk you do need another  O:)
          thank you slim bob, I will keep those dimensions in mind
          thank you JonW

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #643 on: February 25, 2013, 08:33:35 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D............ Got home from work at 6:30 and there was a long package sitting on the porch. A super sweet sinew backed Osage bow from hunterbob. Afraid i wont be home in the day light until Thursday but i will get some pics up then. Of course the pics will have to wait until after i put several dozen arrows thru her, and then several dozen more,  and then some more arrows. Hope i dont run out of daylight before i get the pics.

Thank you very much Bob. It is a super great bow and is already considered one of my most prized possessions.
Steve Bennett

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #644 on: February 25, 2013, 08:44:08 pm »
GregB, I'd sure be happy with one of your hhb bows.  I've never made or shot a hhb bow.  Well, I've roughed out a stave from a hhb Blackhawk gave me at Classic.  I'm hoping it will be my "Classic bow" this year.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw