Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 550674 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #360 on: February 16, 2013, 01:22:32 pm »
If you added that yellow sports car, I,m in.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline danny f

« Reply #361 on: February 16, 2013, 01:33:03 pm »
looks like there are a few mollys being built, i am doing one too  which will hopefully be my trade bow. this is the first one i have done so any help appreciated. how does the tilller look? it is braced half an inch from the handle and i am pulling it 40 # at 14"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #362 on: February 16, 2013, 01:54:10 pm »
This is the one you mentioned on the other post?  Lookin good.  Right limb needs to be brought around with the left.  Pearl mentioned something in a post the other day that I had not really given a lot of thought to prior to him bringing it up.  Get a short string on them early.  I always have as that is the way I was taught, but I had not thought about the reasons for it.  A friend came over last weekend and we worked on bows.  His goal was to make weight on his as he had come in under on his last few.  We put a string on it with 3-4 inches of brace height.  Evened the tiller up on both limbs and checked the weight...something like 40 lbs at 10 inches with an even tiller.  Hard to miss weight.  Just dial it in.  Took a little set, but most of that was gone by the time the bow was finished.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline danny f

« Reply #363 on: February 16, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »
thanks slimbob yes its the one from the other post. i wasnt going to post pics until it was finished,  but i thought i had better get abit of advice from the pros lol. as i want the tiller to be as perfect as  i can get it. this will be my 5 th bow and i hope it will be the best for my victim lol. i will post pics of tiller as i progress.  :)

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #364 on: February 16, 2013, 02:14:57 pm »
If you added that yellow sports car, I,m in.

Heh, I'll ask my father-in-law. You might have to pay for shipping  :o
>>>---------->

blackhawk

« Reply #365 on: February 16, 2013, 02:46:23 pm »
Looking good everybody......get her moving a lil more mid working limbs too Danny

I just ran a ring and cut out one out,but I don't think its what I'm looking for....ill set it to the side and go run a ring on a different stave...and see if that one screams my victims name  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #366 on: February 16, 2013, 03:32:04 pm »
I glued on some RM sheep horn tip overlays. Letting her dry for a few and start shaping the tips. Looking good so far, lots of bends, twist, humps and a crack or two! Very nice looker so far.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #367 on: February 16, 2013, 04:18:50 pm »
Here's a little teaser pic.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #368 on: February 16, 2013, 05:29:10 pm »
OOOOOooooooh............AAAAAaaaaaah.............   ;D
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #369 on: February 16, 2013, 06:05:34 pm »
Here are some before nd after 30 minutes pics of my RM sheep horn tips. Its a nice flexible, but tough overlay.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2013, 06:10:32 pm »
Cool camo job Jon.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #371 on: February 16, 2013, 06:38:44 pm »
Pearlie....what do you use to do your shaping on the horn?  Just files-rasps, or power tools.  If power don't you have to be careful not to over heat the horn.  I am asking because I plan to use some water buffalo horn for tips and have never tried it.  Thanks for any info.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #372 on: February 16, 2013, 06:57:55 pm »
I dont have any power tools, just a bandsaw. Its all done with rasps and sand paper.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #373 on: February 16, 2013, 07:05:47 pm »
Good lookin' tips, Drums!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #374 on: February 16, 2013, 07:07:25 pm »
Thanks Matt. They really start looking nice when the wood starts to darken down. They are opaque and the darker the wood the easier you can see through them! Pretty cool horn.