Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 550781 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #285 on: February 13, 2013, 11:02:58 pm »
I want that yew bow in Kip Wingers picture up above. Mmmmmm..thats a sweet side view. Im starting to love back wrinkles on my bows!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #286 on: February 13, 2013, 11:31:47 pm »
Matt I would swap bows with you anytime. Just say when! 8)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #287 on: February 14, 2013, 08:58:53 am »
Spent a while this morning reading a little deeper into posts of the guy I'll be making a bow for. Very impressed with his knowledge, he gives excellant advice and knows what he's talking about! His enthusiasm for the hobby is inspiring, I can remember being the same way a few years back, and perhaps I can be again.

I haven't been as vocal the last couple of years on PA, and don't know a lot of the folks that have come on board during that time. It's enlightening to see how the knowledge base has increased over time to an ever growing group of people! I'd say the art of bowyering is alive and well thanks in no small part to PA and this forum and mostly to the good people willing to share their knowledge.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #288 on: February 14, 2013, 10:39:18 am »
Well said Greg. I was telling Chris the other day that helping out with the swap really connected me to the site and the people using it more than ever. I know where people are from, what their real names are................and now I have 70 more adrresses I didnt have before....I love sending out suprises!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #289 on: February 14, 2013, 11:14:57 am »
Got a cascara and vine maple stave roughed out yesterday, I should have them floor tillered this weekend.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #290 on: February 14, 2013, 11:26:08 am »
        same here greg, even the small stuff like navigating, and info gathering of this site. I'm a techno
     novice, thats being generous. Shortly I'm gonna have to ask will to help me with posting pics. Its been
     so long. I own apple now, and I know he's done it using his phone.
         Anyway the guy I drew, sounds or looks like he's moving in the same direction as myself. very cool.
     can't wait to start.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline coaster500

« Reply #291 on: February 14, 2013, 12:11:41 pm »
I want that yew bow in Kip Wingers picture up above. Mmmmmm..thats a sweet side view. Im starting to love back wrinkles on my bows!

Hope I can do that one justice Drums :)

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline autologus

« Reply #292 on: February 14, 2013, 12:30:58 pm »

Kip Winger!! I saw him in concert once back when I was a younger man.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #293 on: February 14, 2013, 03:18:38 pm »
Well, I have read a crap-ton of posts from my recipient as well as a monumental stack of photos of bows he has posted. 

The decision was easy to make considering how he spends plenty of time dressing up his bows and making them look pretty fancy.  I'm gonna do him an osage stave bow that's just a bit short of being a bendy handle, slight flip to the tips with horn nock overlays and a very simple leather sewn grip.  The idea is to make this bow very simple, but also as absolutely fast and clean shooting as possible. 

I have long admired my recipient as a pretty steady sort of guy, never jumps in to stir the pot but always has encouraging words for others.  He builds very nice bows that look to be very good at their intended purpose.  Gotta respect that kinda guy.  I'm not so nervous about it now that I've put some thought into it, in fact, I really feel happy that I get to send this guy a bow. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #294 on: February 14, 2013, 04:06:58 pm »
I think I have found the stave for my trade bow.  If I make the closest limb the upper one I should be able to get close to a center shot and still have the handle out of the way of the string.  I'll have to lay it out and see though.  If anyone has a better suggestion let me hear it.  It is for a RH bow.   :o  Ooops, hope I didn't give it away.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #295 on: February 14, 2013, 04:53:28 pm »
Low posts on my recipient.  But I've picked up a few clues.  Now... woods that like it humid... hmmm.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #296 on: February 14, 2013, 04:55:15 pm »
well I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about my trade bow as well.  I've been thinking of everything from a plains short, sinewed backed bow to an yew english war bow and everything in between.  Still not sure which I'll do but I think like some others I might start on a few and see which one I gravitate towards or don't screw up in the process 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline bubby

« Reply #297 on: February 14, 2013, 05:14:20 pm »
I've got this hackberry ruffed out and heat treated, this will be one choice but think i'll get a few more irons in the fire to help make up my mind, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #298 on: February 14, 2013, 05:19:30 pm »
Yummy! Toasty hackberry smells dee-lish in the shop.

Offline bubby

« Reply #299 on: February 14, 2013, 05:23:47 pm »
yeah smeels good, it's 64" ttt gonna be pushing it to get my guys max draw, 29
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹