Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 566097 times)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #2085 on: August 16, 2013, 08:12:53 pm »
My man will get his on Monday......so be looking for that white tube!!!!!!!!!!
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2086 on: August 16, 2013, 08:57:03 pm »
Received my trade bow today courtesy of Stingray 45, thanks Barry much appreciated. Got my daughter to follow me out to the back yard and snap some pics. Snakeskin backed osage, 58" and 57# at 26".
Again thank you Stingray, this was my first bow trade to participate in and its really cool to have one from another member of this forum. Gotta love the spirit of this group. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline danny f

« Reply #2087 on: August 16, 2013, 09:06:23 pm »
well i had the worst possible thing happen yesterday. i was putting a few more arrows through my trade bow and was gona ask the missus to take a full draw pic. i put the string on and put a few through it then crack. to say im gutted is an understatement. i have had 2 bows crysal on me.one lift a splinter one that i wasnt happy with then this one which i was happy with has blown. i have looked at the where it has cracked and it has gone right on  some knots that i have sanded abit to much. here are some pics of the bow i was sending.not really much point but here they are anyway.  i am going to build another for my recipient and am working on one now,  but i want the person who is making mine to send it to my recipient so they have something to shoot. i am dissapointed in myself and wish i had never taken part as i fell like a fool. but i will build the best bow i can for my recipient even though it will be late. and i hope everyone understands. :(

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #2088 on: August 16, 2013, 09:26:36 pm »
Danny it looked to be looking good......I feel for you man.  Really gets you down....but you have to get up and go at it again.  You will get it done.  I would understand.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2089 on: August 16, 2013, 10:11:32 pm »
Mine shipped today.  My victim should receive it next Wednesday Aug. 21
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline danny f

« Reply #2090 on: August 16, 2013, 10:14:25 pm »
thanks beetle, i am well and truly gutted, i will get a bow out to my recipient but it will obviously be late now. i am just glad it blew on me rather than the recipient. the worst thing was it happened on the deadline which has left me no time to make another in time. i think my inexperience has caught up with me on this trade. i made some bows and thought i was better than i was. but i will redeem myself somehow. and i am truly sorry to my recipient. :( i hope he will understand.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2091 on: August 16, 2013, 11:22:42 pm »
I understand how it goes Danny.  Hang in there and work steady, don't rush in panic.  If your recipient has ANY understanding, this will not cause him to sweat any. 

Personally, I would wait years for my trade bow as long as I knew the builder was giving honest effort. 

Speaking of waiting, my recipient can rest assured that there is a tracking number on a pvc tube.  The tube originally shipped a trade bow from Sidewinder, so it already has mojo residue!  Hoping it rubs off on "After Midnite".  According to the receipt for the Post Office, scheduled delivery for Monday, August 19th.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2092 on: August 16, 2013, 11:27:18 pm »
That's a bummer, Danny, but don't be too hard on yourself. Sounds like you're manning up and doing the right thing to make it right, which I'm sure will earn you more respect around here than just whipping out a pretty bow on your first try. I'm sure your recipient will understand and will appreciate getting a bow from you when the bow gods decide to cut you some slack.

Offline KellyG

« Reply #2093 on: August 16, 2013, 11:35:18 pm »
Well here is where I am at.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2094 on: August 17, 2013, 02:11:08 am »
Inner left could use some scraps :)

Looking good!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2095 on: August 17, 2013, 02:15:28 am »
Sweet bow you got there Greg.  Stingray did some nice work. 

Sorry Danny, that bow was looking good.  What wood was that?  When I am struggling, I grab a long stave and make a long bow. 

Kelly, hard to tell from just the one pic, but maybe a little stiff in the fade on the right limb, and like Bryce said, maybe just a slight stiff spot just outside the fades on the left limb.  That's all assuming it is good and straight when unbraced. ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2096 on: August 17, 2013, 02:16:29 am »
I will be shipping monday.  Had a finish redo today.   ::)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2097 on: August 17, 2013, 02:48:55 am »
Danny, don't take it so hard. Even experienced bowyers break bows - it comes with the territory. Let your recipient know and start another. You got the right heart, I can tell.
Gordon

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2098 on: August 17, 2013, 03:32:30 am »
Danny, don't take it so hard. Even experienced bowyers break bows - it comes with the territory. Let your recipient know and start another. You got the right heart, I can tell.

Well said and I agree ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline danny f

« Reply #2099 on: August 17, 2013, 12:37:02 pm »
thanks everyone. i am going to send a pm to my guy and tell him whats goin on. i am working on another now. so hopefully i can get it out there asap. but i am not going to rush just to get one out im taking my time. the bow was made from privet, it was pulling 50# at 28" and shot really nice. the reason for the failure is from sanding a ring off one of the bumps on it and i hadnt noticed. so  it just cracked right across the limb. i will get a pic of it. thanks everyone for being understanding. i hope my guy isnt to dissapointed.