Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress  (Read 551877 times)

Offline Gaur

Re: 2013 Bow Trade Works In Progress
« Reply #1650 on: July 02, 2013, 10:21:50 pm »
Here's three that got snake skins with hide glue last night. Hint.  They are from some local Thai snakes.  I walked a friend through his first osage bow for his brother.  I have a osage and a yew bow here.  Not sure which one will be the trade bow yet.  Going to see how the final tilering goes.  All three are take downs.  My two are getting a coat or two of tru oil over the skins and coming with me to MN on Sunday night from Thailand.

So whoever you are keep being patient.  I'll try to finish them up shortly after arriving in MN and get it shipped out.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #1651 on: July 02, 2013, 10:30:02 pm »
Ill be patient ive already waited this long  >:D

Offline KellyG

« Reply #1652 on: July 02, 2013, 11:42:22 pm »
Sorry for not hoping on here for a bit. Still working on a bow. Trying to get one done for the other swap also. I have had one bow blow and one come in way under weight. I do have a Hackberry bow almost to the short string and an Osage roughed out. Both are in the American long bows. No frills and will had some skins if they come out.

Note hackberry is not as soft as some make it out to be. The drawknife did not like it at all. The ferrier's rasp chews it up fast.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #1653 on: July 03, 2013, 03:00:23 am »
Well gaur, I like TD's and could use another. I'm patient. I got no problem waiting a little bit longer :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #1654 on: July 03, 2013, 06:51:07 am »
Great looking bows guys! I can't wait till one shows up at my door :)

I'm going to be in Minnesota until the 15th, so knowing my luck one will show up the day after I fly out  :P :)
>>>---------->

blackhawk

« Reply #1655 on: July 03, 2013, 08:58:25 am »
Cool randy...glad ya get to come back to the states again this year ;) ...n I'm patient,I can wait ;)

Offline Gaur

« Reply #1656 on: July 03, 2013, 09:13:54 am »
Here are the skins with the wraps off.  These osage billets and Yew billets have traveled more than most of you  :P
hopefully one of the two top bows will make the grade and be my trade bow.  Bottom one is for my friends brother. Of course he choose the best skin.  A young reticulated python with a nice tight pattern.   

top one is yew and middle on osage.  The yew is billets from two different trees 66". growth rings similar but the yew is darker on the top limb lighter on the bottom.  Thinking of calling it "brothers from another mother".  The osage was from a really nice set of billets that I have been saving a few years.  Its 64".  Plan C for me is to whip out a bow from some osage or yew i have waiting from last year in MN.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:17:30 am by Gaur »

Offline autologus

« Reply #1657 on: July 03, 2013, 10:31:23 am »
Wow those are pretty, there isn't anything wrong with either of those.  Someone is going to be happy, happy, happy.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #1658 on: July 03, 2013, 05:46:26 pm »
Sweet lookin skins on those bows, Gaur. What take down system did you use?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #1659 on: July 03, 2013, 06:37:14 pm »
Great looking bows being made. I have my plan D tillered out to 24 inches. Will try to get some pics up tommorow. I shot a few arrows at 24 thru her today and it seems pretty sweet. It has several wiggles and dips and right now on the tree one limb looks real good and the other looks like it has a couple flat spots but it i flip it end for end it looks like the flat spot limb is real good and the other limb has the exact same flat spots.
Steve Bennett

Offline Gaur

« Reply #1660 on: July 03, 2013, 07:41:56 pm »
thanks lesken.  They are finally starting to dry out.  Too humid here so its slow going and I leave Sunday night for the states so its like watching a pot boil waiting for them to dry.

The sleeve system I use I have made here in Thailand.  There are lots of machine shops and labor is cheap.  I buy stainless stock 1 1/2 inch or 1 1/4 inch depending on the size I want (these are all 1 1/2) and I buy some brass stock and take them to a local machine shop and they spin them and fit them with wall thickness of 2 mm.  I then put them into a big vice at the machine shop and squeeze them a bit to give them a oval shape.  Keeps them from twisting and also fits your hand nice.  I don't have the D shape that you see sold.  I've thought about making a form for that and then squeezing them into a D shape after fitted but haven't done that yet.  They run me about $15 a set to make.  Brass is expensive here as its imported. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1661 on: July 03, 2013, 07:48:48 pm »
Those skins are awesome. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #1662 on: July 03, 2013, 08:02:47 pm »
That's cool. Sounds like a good trade item!! :P
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Gaur

« Reply #1663 on: July 03, 2013, 08:20:43 pm »
Thanks osage outlaw.  Hope they come out nice.  I probably should have finished tillering out the bows before putting them on but I needed to get them on and sealed before I leave for the USA. 

That's cool. Sounds like a good trade item!! :P
I am having a few more made at the moment to bring home ;)

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #1664 on: July 03, 2013, 08:38:07 pm »
Wow Gaur, those are some glorious looking bows. I can only hope! O:)
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.