Author Topic: Billet vs staves?  (Read 5244 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Billet vs staves?
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:12:29 am »
I have seen a lot of people saying that one or the other makes better bows.  What is your findings?  Can you tell a big difference between a bow made from billets, sister billets, or a full length stave?

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Billet vs staves?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:25:34 am »
I've noticed no real difference between the two. It matters far more that the bow have good tiller, good grain, and an unviolated back. If all other things remain equal I'd say that the stave is probably better, but not noticeably so, at least not in my experience.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:59 am »
What Slackbunny said. I like sister billets but really not much difference as long as the wood and grain is somewhat the same.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:56:35 am »
Its fun to say you used sister billets and all, but I dont believe it makes any difference at all.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:06:06 am »
That is part of the reason for my question.  I have several pieces of wood that will make billets, but they are not sister billets or even from the same tree.

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:11:12 am »
Just splice em together anyway. They will work just fine :) Heck I just spliced two old fence posts together and then spliced a piece of yew to a osage fencepost. And both seem to be coming alon just fine. The only thing I will say about sister billets is that visually they are nice to look at. Especially when they are real snakey and full of character. For example, pappys Super snakey masterpiece "patience is a virtue" I think bows like that benefit from being sisters...
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:19:03 am »
Dont think I would try to build a "Bend throught the handle" bow out of spliced billets.

If it has been done maybe someone will let us know.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 01:22:36 pm »
With a crooked wood such as osage, 2 straight billets can be easier to work. If I'm making a takedown with billets I'll make it an inch or so longer since it won't be bending through the handle.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 01:58:18 pm »
yeah.. when I have a nice Yew stave I saw it half and then re-join it 'cos I just love the extra work of splicing.
AROOGAH AROOOGAH
Sarcasm Alert Sarcasm Alert  >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »
yeah.. when I have a nice Yew stave I saw it half and then re-join it 'cos I just love the extra work of splicing.
AROOGAH AROOOGAH
Sarcasm Alert Sarcasm Alert  >:D
Del

That was funny! Now if I catch you cutting a perfectly good stave in to billets I'm going to run over there and save them poor things from harm! >:D

Offline dbb

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 02:17:19 pm »
Hmmm,that would take the saying "Walk on water" to a new level.... :o ;D
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 02:18:38 pm »
Charlie:  If you got 'em, splice 'em.  Coincidently, this is what I just finished doing this morning.  Glue-ups!

Aside from bendy-handle bows, I splice often.  You get a whole lot more out of a tree.  Sisters are cool, also.  If you use a Resorcinol product for the splices, you can steam them and the glue won't fail.  Pictured are the five I just glued up.  I will get the belly to near bow dimensions, steam or dry heat them on forms and they'll be ready for bows.  The only disadvantage aside from bendy handles is that asthetically, they will require a grip of some sort to cover up the glue lines.

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 02:21:47 pm »
Good looking stuff Matt

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 06:39:05 am »
Thanks Matt and everyone.  Yeah we seem to come up with some really great short pieces of wood, but not so good long length staves.  It looks like there will be more billet work in my future than staves for sure.  Great glue up's Matt.  Those look fantastic.