Author Topic: Where do you guys get your staves?  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Shiloh

Where do you guys get your staves?
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:10:59 pm »
I'm curious, where do most of you guys get your wood from? I'm hoping to graduate from board bows to staves sometime, but so far I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone in the Washington State Forest Service/Department of Natural resources as to where or if I'm allowed to harvest trees from public land.  :-\
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Where do you guys get your staves?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:21:34 pm »
Off of my land, family land, or friends land......also traded for a lot of them.  Purchased some osage also.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:15 pm »
you can get some on the trading post.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:33:15 pm »
I cut all my staves from my property.  I'll trade them for other types of wood that I don't have.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:07:15 pm »
By the big tree with the moss on the east side. durning a full moon ;D ;D ;D ;D >:D

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:22:11 pm »
By the big tree with the moss on the east side. durning a full moon ;D ;D ;D ;D >:D

:laugh: I'll keep that in mind. Maybe it's Ishi's sign of "you must make a bow out of this tree"...

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:44 pm »
It is definitely a matter of finding the right person to talk to because most either don't know anything or they pretend like they don't because they don't want you cutting trees. If it's anything like Oregon, once you find the right person to talk to it will be relatively easy. We went out and cut yew in the national forest and checked in at the ranger station nearby. One of us had already talked to the right person on the phone so they had our paper work waiting for us and they even circled some areas where they know there was a lot of yew. It was just a dollar a 'stave' (how do you define a stave? we decided not to ask... ::)) It may be different in Washington but just be persistent and you'll figure it out. Or better yet find someone on PA who has harvested in Washington and maybe they'll show you the ropes.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 09:50:36 pm »
Carefull Weylin, you just might start a stampeed to the Oregon territory! :o  Now, Repeat after me.   "Not sure what that wood is? What did you say it looks like"  LOL  just kidding Weylin is right around these parts you have to find the right person in the forest service and jump through the hoops.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:13:48 am »
Just keep your eyes and ears open for all possibilities. Back when I was an osage cutting maniac, I was on high alert all the time, watching vacant lots with osage growing on them, any sign of clearing and I drove straight to them to ask the people clearing if I could have the osage, never was turned down.

Throw the words, bow making, osage and bodoc (Alabama pronunciation) out in crowds of people you don't know. Someone will say, "my uncles farm is covered up with that nasty stuff", or some other lead you can follow up on.

Just today I was shooting my flintlock with a group of guys, two I knew and four I didn't know. One of the guys who knew me said something about my osage bows. One of the guys who I had never met said"my farm is covered up with the stuff". Next question; mind if we cut some? "Cut all you want" says he.

That's the way it works, do your home work, ask around and you will have more wood available than you can cut

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:28:19 am »
Check with local tree trimmers and always scower your area after an ice storm.  My last sinew/carp backed bow was fro an ice strom. Huge branch that came down. Asked the guy if he needed help getting it off his fence. I got the staves

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:44:56 am »
Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out. I have a friend with some property, I'll ask him if he wouldn't mind me coming out and just seeing what's out there.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:38:21 am »
Logging areas are a good start, I've called Weyhauser and Fiber offices both here and in Oregon and Washington ask for the supervisors message phone in the area your looking at and leave them a vague message about wanting vine maple for primitive bow building. Usually takes a few days but I've never had one not get back to me cause most loggers hate vine maple and don't mind if you remove some after ,you get a yes meet up with them if possible so if any one try's to give you grief you can let them know who gave you permission to cut. Don't be afraid after you secure permission to throw out an intrest in yew and oceanspray. City tree trimmers are a great resource I got dang near a whole pear tree for a couple of Starbucks gift cards. And don't be afraid to check with local ranch or farm owners I've traded labor for tree cutting in the past and got a couple of hunting areas to boot. And last but not least the BLM office sold me a permit for "vine maple and yew fence posts" and pointed me to a cutting area for 11.00 if I remember right that allowed me 24 6" diameter post. Good luck to you

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 11:09:38 am »
Shiloh, all of the above is good advise. where there is a will there is a way and one of these days you will be sharing your stories with one of the new guys. The main thing is get out there and start the ball rolling.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:25 pm »
Well the Lord works in funny ways sometimes.  ;D I was at a friend's church camp and got to talking with his parents. Turns out there's a TON of vine maple they're hoping to get rid of. Most of it isn't good for bows, but I said I'd be more than willing to take care of most of it if they'd be willing to let me have some after I explained the circumstances. AND not ten minutes later I got to talking to a really nice woman whose husband works with a company that goes out and trims/fells trees for parks. Talked to him for a few minutes, and he said that if he ran across any good maple, dogwood, or apple trees that he could salvage he'd throw them in his truck for me.  :o Two bow-wood sources in the span of twenty minutes.

I iz a happy camper.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 11:53:46 pm »
Keep friending those tree trimmers Shiloh, I just talke to a crew today when the big man himself( owner) came up ,well we got to chatting and now I get to go shadow them tomorrow while they remove a bunch of apple trees. Bad side was I just missed them taking down and chipping an elm and multiple plum trees I'd been eyeing on my drive to drop the kids a school for the last three years