Author Topic: Tiller help  (Read 2021 times)

Offline KShip85

Tiller help
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »
Ok, well here is the bow I've made reference to in a few other posts.  It's a maple backed ERC molle made from a deflexed stave with recurved tips.  I'm shooting for around 55 lbs at 29".  It's ~68" tip to tip.  This is only my second attempt at a molle at my first try at one that's not a kid bow.  What areas are ok and where does it need work?

Thanks for the help :)

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline akila

Re: Tiller help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:43:22 pm »
The upper limb, its a little stiff, specialy at the fades....near the handle...the bottom limb looks ok for the moment...u can wait for others to tell whatt they think aboute this tiller...sometimes, an extra pair of eyes helps..:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:45:18 pm »
What does your straight edge tell you when you run it over the belly?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:47:12 pm »
I think the upper limb looks to be bit stiff too.  hard to say where the limbs need to bend more without an unbraced side profile picture.  I would say mid-limb needs to bend more on both limbs, and taking a little of the upper limb fade also, might bring that limb around.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline KShip85

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 03:03:44 pm »
What does your straight edge tell you when you run it over the belly?

Not sure what your talking about here?  Can you explain what ya mean.

I thought the upper limb and fades seemed stiff too but my other molle hinged at the fades so I'm be careful around them. 

I can try and get an in unbraced side profile for comparison.

Kip

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:07:02 pm »
use a 6" straight edge or a tiller gizmo, it will show where you need to scrape, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline KShip85

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 03:12:03 pm »
Thanks for the explanation Bubby, I'll have to cut a block and see.  I've been using calipers to check the limb thickness as I've gone.

Here is a side profile unbraced for comparison.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:20:36 pm »
Actually I think your pretty close.  Need to see an unbraced profile and a braced pic.  Looks like you can brace it 5 inches or so??  Top limb does appear a little stiff as Carson said.  Take some off near the fade.  I take a caliper and check to see if the limbs are consistent from side to side and with one another at given points.  With it braced, measure string height at the farthest point on each limb.  This will tell you which limb needs to bend farther (more wood taken off).  Slow and easy at this point.  Little steps.  If the unbraced profile is even, and you can get the braced profile even, then draw it farther and check it. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 03:21:22 pm »
Your scraper is a good edge to use. When the gap between the edge and the belly lessens, its stiff. Mark it with a pencil and remove wood until that gap is even from fade to tips when you run the straight edge down the belly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 03:22:25 pm »
You can see how one limb has talen more set than the other in the unbraced shot. Thats due to one working unevenly as opposed to the other.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 05:15:23 pm »
Just got done doing some scraping/sanding.  Here's another look.

Looking better?

Kip

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:16:56 pm »
Kip - A carpenters pensil will work to check for flat spots too, and Ya already have something to mark it with  :laugh: ! Good luck - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:18:03 pm »
Yepper - looks alot better ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline akila

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 07:08:24 pm »
It looks much better, but i would still make that upper limb, to work just a little bit moore, at the fade, near the handle...u have there, aboute 3-4", wich are a little stiff...and the bottom limb, i would make bend a little moore just right in the middle....u have to be realy patience, now, and go verry slowly...just a fiew scraps, and take photo again, and try to analise it from all the angles...good luck

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 07:21:03 pm »
+1 akila.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.