Author Topic: Finishes for softer woods?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline KShip85

Finishes for softer woods?
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:17 am »
Are there any finishes that provide better protection than others for softer woods like ERC?  Working on one and would like to provide some protection against bumps and scratches.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline TRACY

Re: Finishes for softer woods?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:15:35 am »
Tru oil or poly will work just fine. Linseed oil does well also, just reapply every so often.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:36:38 am »
I don't know of anything that will protect erc from dents, but tru-oil is one of the easiest finishes to touch up scratches and blemishes.  Josh

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 12:01:41 pm »
I backed my last ERC with rawhide and finished with tru-oil then Spar (I like a matt finish) I don't think the finish will protect much but the rawhide does. I've done a few Yew bows, some backed and some not and used the same finish. The one that I kept is still a sound shooter but shows some bruises....  Oh well ????

Kip ;)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:12:22 pm »
Put a piece of boo or hickory on top of it,and an osage underneath it and your good to go  ;)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:04:07 pm »
As mentioned above, applying some kind of backing will help. For the belly and sides several coats of a marine grade poly will offer some protection against soft dents.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:01 pm »
dunno how much extra protection it affords, but after finishing with poly, i wax with a carnauba based wax that hardens as it dries.  Can't hurt :)

Offline KShip85

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 02:15:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies all.  It is backed with quarter sawn maple so it's just the belly and sides I was worried about.

Blackhawk, I might give that a try next, but I need to increase my stash of 'sage before I can make much with it ;) .

This has been a fun experimental bow.  Several firsts for me with it.  Working on the tiller right now, might post some pics later to get some help with it.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN