Linked Events

• A central KY mini bowyer get together: February 19, 2013 - February 21, 2013

Author Topic: A central KY mini bowyer get together  (Read 49420 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: A central KY mini bowyer get together
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2013, 09:36:47 am »
Come on down KY
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline TRACY

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 10:16:37 pm »
Still on the maybe list. If it works, I would shoot down Saturday morning early and stay over till Sunday. My wife and kids have a spring break that overlaps with mine and just trying to sort it all out. This sounds like a lot of fun and I sure don't want to miss it! I'll let you know either way Dave.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 01:36:05 pm »
Am I allowed to shoot my illegal glass lam bow?  I don't have a primitive one yet..

I plan on stopping by Friday as I'll be working over that way, then come back on Saturday... Hopefully it will be good weather, we're due!

blackhawk

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 01:45:18 pm »
Am I allowed to shoot my illegal glass lam bow?  I don't have a primitive one yet..

I plan on stopping by Friday as I'll be working over that way, then come back on Saturday... Hopefully it will be good weather, we're due!

What's your "real" draw length and preferred weight?

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 02:29:24 pm »
I only have a glass bow but I plan to make one wile I'm there ;D.
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 02:36:24 pm »

What's your "real" draw length and preferred weight?

28.5 and 40-50 pounds.. I shoot 3 under, right handed... I only have carbon arrows.. I'll bring my stuff, so you can laugh at me...

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 04:52:45 pm »
Ozzy, Wapiti you use your FB on the course, but we impose a handy-cap and laugh at you alot.  Now, if you show up with bows with wheel, you have to shoot the course nekkid.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 05:21:36 pm »
Ill have to bring some shine before I shoot it like that  >:D
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 07:13:23 pm »
Now don't make fun of my FB bow!  I gave the bowyer red elm, KY coffeetree, honey locust, and persimmon to craft this jewel.  It also has a piece of a KY elk shed imbedded in the riser.

I already have a handicap.  All of this osage peeling I've been doing for the last few months has torn something in my shoulder.  I can't even talk on the phone wihtout the pain seizing me up!

It's gonna suck that I ever get to making bows and am too crippled to shoot one of them!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 08:18:11 pm »
Wapiti, sorry to here about your shoulder.  Remind me to introduce you to my electric draw knife.  ;)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 09:36:59 pm »
I got to shoot for an hour n a half last night...I gotta get to practicing to show ya all on how NOT to shoot...lol ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 10:22:46 pm »
Nobody better laugh at my shooting.  The last arrow I flung was to scare off a deer that was under my tree stand  ::)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:31 pm »
Wapiti, sorry to here about your shoulder.  Remind me to introduce you to my electric draw knife.  ;)

Electric draw knife??? You guys give me crap about my FB bow! I have half a mind to bring 20 hours worth of maclura pomifera that still needs skinning just to see this fancy draw knife in action... :)

All kidding aside, I can chase a ring quicker than I can get the sapwood off..  I have in some instances simply split the wood at the first few heartwood rings to get rid of the sapwood.  Green, to me it seems the sapwood is much harder than the heartwood. The heartwood flakes off like fish scales, the sapwood more like cold coyote skin....

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2013, 01:50:35 am »
I shot about 50 arrows 3 weeks ago to test drive my last osage bow.  The time before that was before Christmas when I shot in a hickory bow.  So, my skills as an archer (not that I have many to begin with) will not be something that legends are made of.  BUT, I'm off work for the next 3 days, hopefully I'll get some shooting in then as projects allow.

Projects for the next 3 days:
Repairs on the greenhouse (honey do)
Kill some chickens for the freezer (honey do)
Replace a freeze plug in the tractor.
Use said tractor and bushhog to layout the 3-D course.
Start and finish a red oak board bow for the red oak board bow trade.
Layout to floor tiller osage trade bow.
Then if there's time:
cut some firewood, maybe cut a BL and/or an osage.  Start straightening up the place, guest are coming in a couple of weeks.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2013, 01:45:50 pm »
Nobody better laugh at my shooting.  The last arrow I flung was to scare off a deer that was under my tree stand  ::)

Yeah I hate it when I got deer around my stand too ::)