Linked Events

• A central KY mini bowyer get together: February 19, 2013 - February 21, 2013

Author Topic: A central KY mini bowyer get together  (Read 49414 times)

blackhawk

Re: A central KY mini bowyer get together
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:23 pm »
no pictures?

Hold your horses chuck...the party ain't over yet  8)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2013, 10:21:32 pm »
It was great to meet a few of the folks from PA!  Thanks Dave for hosting the event!

Here's a few pics"

Hedgeapple found this set of sheds, then promised them to the first person to hit the bedded buck from the house... I tried and tried.... Blackhawk whittled a purdy bow from a rotten log recovered from the Moontree farm many moons ago.. presented it to Dave and dang if he didn't hit that 100+ yard bedded buck with the first try from it.  Shows you what  a guy can do to keep his hands on a nice rack!

Here's some pics in the shop..

Seems like this last guy is the one I saw packing some crooked wiggly yellar wood into a van.... ::)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2013, 10:26:09 pm »
The bowmaking and knapping was neat to see, but for some reason I keep thinking about an apple cobbler and dutch oven!  That was impressive!  ;)  Enjoyed it folks, I wish I coulda hung around longer.  Sorry if I asked too many questions!

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2013, 12:35:37 am »
Home know and had a great time thanks Dave for hosting and it was great to meet you all and learn from you
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2013, 10:28:55 am »
It was a real good time and thanks for hosting Dave! Next time I will leave my knapping stuff at home and bring my bows and staves. As always, a real pleasure to put faces with names. I'm with Joe on that Dutch oven apple cobbler, great stuff Bill!

Why DID the chicken cross the road? 8)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline DLH

« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »
Thanks for having me up Dave I had a great time. Thanks for everyone that helped me out I learned a lot. Nice to meet everyone this weekend I'll recognize people at the classic now for sure. Sure came home with some nice osage too. The food was excellent sure didn't go hungry thats for sure.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2013, 02:49:22 pm »
Had an awesome time, Dave! I appreciate your hospitality as a host. You sure put on a nice event. The food was outstanding and the fellowship with all the talented bowyers (and knapper, Tracy) was great. Seeing Blackhawk, Osage Outlaw, Seabass, Ozzy, and the rest of the guys from PA work their magic was something to behold. Even getting my butt kicked on the range by Joe (wapiti) was fun.  :'(I'm counting down the days to the next one.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2013, 04:20:22 pm »
I made it home this afternoon with some wet wood but dry tools.  Thanks for having us Dave.  You hosted a very nice gathering.  I had a great time even though I spent as much time in the bathroom as I did the bow shop  :P  Dave's cooking and Bill's dutch oven cobbler sure smelled good.   The 3-d course was a blast to shoot.  Sorry I didn't get to spend any time with you guys that showed up late Friday night.  It was nice to see some familiar faces and make some new friends.  I enjoyed watching Blackhawk and DLH go crazy splitting some stubborn osage logs.  Ozzy worked all weekend on a sideways banana bow.  It was straight as an arrow by the time he left.  DLH had his BL stave looking more like a bow when he was done.  All it needs now is a little tillering and that piercing installed.  Joe is one heck of a shot on anything under 100 yards.  I wish I had seen Dave's long range killshot.  You all know where I was when that happened.  Greg it was nice to spend some time working with you yesterday.  With as nice of job as you did on that bow I can't wait to see what you can do with some seasoned osage.  Tracy and Leslie, it was nice seeing you guys again.  I'm looking forward to shooting a round with you and Derik in a few weeks.  Seabass brought his collection of bows.  That one from Keenan was beautiful.  Blackhawk, I enjoyed making some shavings with you again.  You sure ended up with a nice van load of wood.  There was a lot of trading of goods this weekend.  I think everyone went home with some goodies.  I know I did.

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to.  I thinned a few limb tips, skinned a bow, and started working on a piece of ancient osage.  I finally perked up Saturday night and got a ring chased to the handle.  Thanks for cutting it out for me Chris. 

I only got a few pictures.

Ozzy straightening out that banana bow on the caul

My old osage I was working on

Thanks again for putting this on Dave.  I hope we can do it again next year.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:42:31 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2013, 06:20:14 pm »
I'm glad to see everyone made it home safety.  My estimates is Blackhawk should be arriving home shorty.  Although, hauling that much osage in his van might slow him down a bit.

Well, I had a BLAST!!!  It was probably the easiest event I've ever hosted.  I told everyone to make themselves at home and they did.  I didn't feel like I was "hosting" anything.  Everyone was so self-sufficient. All I did was walk around chatting with folks.

I don't think I've ever seen so much trading and gifting in such a small area.  Everytime I turned around someone was handing someone something.  Blackhawk arrived with a van full of osage and left with a larger van full of different osage and assorted other wood species.

About 5 PM Saturday foks started coming up to asking the same question, "Are we going to do this again next?"  Well, it was too much fun to do it only once :) Heck yell, let's do this gathering again.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:58:32 pm by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2013, 07:01:20 pm »
I made it home....whew..what a blast!!!! N that's an understatement..thanks Dave for hosting and letting us cut up some of your osage,n putting up with us....thanks for all the great trades with Dave,Joe,Clint,Greg,and bill for that dutch oven cobbler...mmmmm....n had fun helping you guys when ya needed it.

Dave tell your buddy Brian again thanks for bringing us junkies more wood to divy up ;)

Hey Joe...sorry Dave beat you with "the shot" ;)

I'll try to get my pics up tonight....I'm whooped so no promises :P

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2013, 09:06:42 pm »
Man................. what an experience, loved every minute of it!  Thanks again Dave, you've got to make this an annual thing.  I learned more in one day than I ever could by myself.  Next year, if you have it  :),  I'll have a bench, work on a bow and stay a LOT longer. I just got through making a cane straighting jig and straighten out 4 shafts in half the time I usually do.  You were right, thanks for the tip!!!

Blackhawk, your a true craftsman making bows, AMAZING is about all I can say.  Those were some beautiful bows you had.  I assume you finished that one today you started this weekend, did ya?

Osage Outlaw, Glad your feeling better, you've got your work cut out for you on that old stave you started.  Please post some pic's of any progress or bring it to the Classic.

Ozzy,  my wife looked at this post saw pictures of you and thought you were the country singer Zach Brown.  ;D  Wanted to know if you played any music :laugh:......Ever hear of that?

Gsulfridge,  Thanks so much for the osage stave, never seen rings "so nice"....................................

Wapiti, please post some pic's of that bow you were working one love to see the progress.

Tracy, definitely going to look you up at the Classic a talk a little more about some hunting points for this fall hunting, thanks for stirring up my juices about starting to knapp >:D all I need is another hobby.  Tell your wife the dip and chips hit the spot!

Seabass, Good talk'n to ya,  great stories!

Oh,  I almost forgot ;),  That was a moment to remember.......first shot at 100+ yards with the Blackhawk bow,  great shot Dave!

Thanks again all, and hope to see everyone again,  Holler at me if you see me at the Classic and I'll do the same.

DB
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2013, 09:13:08 pm »
Once or twice lol  >:D and that cobbler was awesome
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

blackhawk

« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2013, 09:32:22 pm »
first tree we cut and the kind of rings every bowyer likes to see when felling osage  >:D

dave sizing up the third tree we cut

dave throwing some gold dust notching it  ;D

mmmmmm....yummy....more tasty ring ratio  ;)

this third one kicked our butts....it got caught up standing straight...daves saw got pinched....we finally got the tree off the stump n daves saw out but it still wouldn't fall....so we used a come along at the base of the trunk to help it along....but still it didn't wanna go down all the way as you can see here in the pic....we eventually lopped off the tree next to it it was hung up on and then had to start cutting the tops off for it to go all the way down to the ground....and then the damn thing did not want to be split bouncing wedges left n right...I finally stepped in and showed it whos boss  >:D

when we got back up to the house with our cuttings daves buddy brian shows up with some osage he had cut to bring us...and here is brian assisting clints sick rear end with ozzy looking on

just look at all that gold  ;D ...brians whacking the stringers out to pull her apart...just look at that primo clean straight hedge  ;D and who ever said non bowyers don't know how to pick n cut good trees is full of crap...lol  :laugh: ...thanks brian(if ya get to see this) ;)

my lot of the gold  ;)  with the beautiful bluegrass country in the background  8)

clint stroking the tip of his wood  :P  >:D  :laugh:

dan twisting on his nipple..  ;)  ;D

dan chasing a ring on his nipple locust stave,and ozzy reducing belly meat

tracy and dan knapping away with bill steve and tracys wife looking on

ace joe working on his locust sliver stave  ;)

steve telling a good story to clint and greg and ozzy working on there staves  :laugh:

greg making a correction on his osage

clint putting skins on a bow

bills dutch oven apple cobbler was a big hit  ;)  ;D  thanks bill ...sure was tasty to this dutch boy  ;)

dave working on a hhb stave I gave him last year at the classic  ;) n clint chasing his dead standing osage stave....good luck pal  ;)

greg putting some finishing touches on his tips

heres what my van looked like before I left  :)

and heres what it looked like coming home  >:D  how did I get so lucky and make out like a bandit  ::)

on me way home passing my favorite exit in the whole world...hmmm....wonder why?  ::)

what a blast and that just skimmed the surface....for some reason I didn't get any pics of us shooting...I swear we did  ;)

Offline chertle

« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2013, 10:01:55 pm »
It was great fun! Thanks for having us over! It was enjoyable listening to the stories and learning about new things! I look forward to seeing ya'll again and we will definitely have to get together next year!!
Leslie
Indiana

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:25 pm »
Thanks everyone for posting pictures.  I seem to never pull out a camera.  Keep 'em coming.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw