Linked Events

• A central KY mini bowyer get together: February 19, 2013 - February 21, 2013

Author Topic: A central KY mini bowyer get together  (Read 49472 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: A central KY mini bowyer get together
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2013, 07:25:39 pm »
I have a Porter/Cable bandsaw with 6" throat.  I' believe it's 1 1/2 hp.  I have a 36" belt sander.  Oh, I might get a bow finished this weekend.  l have 4 in various stages of completion.  My biggest desire is to work on the hhb while you're here.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2013, 08:19:00 pm »
Ok..if ya didn't id gladly bring mine down...as long as I can cut out front profiles n belly meat off staves ill b aok ;) ....ill bring my stave press as well for running rings as long as you got a spot we can clamp it too....no better vice than that out there for running rings and heavy torque work

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2013, 08:36:26 pm »
Less than a week to go.  I need to start getting stuff ready.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2013, 09:49:58 pm »
I just checked the weather for the gathering weekend.  It looks nice, ZERO chance of percipitation, highs mid-40's lows in the 30's.  I call that a good forecast.  Anyone sleeping in a tent might need to bring a warm sleeping bag, but I've camped in much colder weather.  If it's a bit to friggid for you, I can find a place indoors for you.  There's a twin bed in my office (a man needs a place to knap in the his man cave, doesn't he.), a comfy futon couch and chair in the livingroom.  My camper could sleep 2 pretty easily.  I put an electric heater in it.  And, there'll be plenty of floor space.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2013, 10:00:37 pm »

So do I haha.  I still need to make some arras.  I got one done.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2013, 11:03:58 pm »
Got my tent ready and air mattress leaks fixed hopefully today and tools tomorrow I'm so excited I can't wait ;D
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2013, 11:06:42 pm »
Looking to head down for a long day and drive back that night. Plan on bringing knappin stuff and tarp. What else?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2013, 01:06:54 am »
That's great Tracy, though a longer stay would be awesome.  I was wondering about you stone smasher folks, I hadn't heard much for you guys in a bit.  I want to try chipping a rock.  Like I need another addictions  :o
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2013, 08:20:13 am »

So do I haha.  I still need to make some arras.  I got one done.

That's one more than me  ;D  :laugh:

And I broke my last two yesterday...now I got none... >:(

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2013, 09:44:38 am »
I've only broken one arrow in the 4 years I've been doing this craziness and that was a footed arrow.  The foot broke.  I use bamboo tomato stakes from Lowe's.  Those thing are indistructable.  And pretty forgiving as far as spine is concerned.  They're cheap, also, about $1 a piece.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2013, 03:18:25 pm »
Same here Dave.  Only broke one bamboo arrow when I hit some roots in a creek bed.  It split the shaft in half before it broke.  I have hit trees dead center and didn't hurt them.  I'll open a few packages of stakes and do a quick spine test in the store.  I'll mix and match a few stakes to get a good batch.  As long as I have the correct number in there when I'm done they don't seem to mind.

blackhawk

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2013, 07:40:10 pm »
One was a carbon...n the other was a cane shaft....it happened from shooting a bow in...I dont pay too much attention to accuracy when shooting one in...and they've smacked my railroad tie retaining wall behind my target ten too many times..lol.  :laugh:

N now it looks like I won't have time to make some new ones up...might have to make some up down there  ::)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2013, 08:05:39 pm »
Clint, the Lowes around here sale the tomato stakes individually.  So I just stand there and sort through all of them.  I usually bring home 10 to 15.  And there's 5 Lowes store within a thirty minute drive of me.  Whenever I'm near one, I stop by and buy more.

Chris, you make some here.  I find late night is the best time make arrow.  There's no power tools involved to hamper drinking.  And, I'm usually tired of scraping one a bow anyhow.  I have a fletching jig, hot flat steel to flatten nodes and secret little jig to straighten the bamboo.  It used to take me about 2 hours to straight a shaft, now I can do it in about 20 minutes.  And half that time is waiting on section to cool enough so I can hold it to bend another section.  The waiting time is where the beer comes in.  ;)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2013, 10:31:07 pm »
Will do Dave...I already have 3 matched sets already spine matched n straight(cane,shun doo,n something else?) From various trades...just gotta cut self nocks,taper n glue heads,n glue feathers....n I got heads n feathers.... so it shouldn't take too long to whip out a half dozen to get me thru the weekend ;)....hope the weathers gonna be better than here right now...were getting freezing rain right now...yuck....limbs sagging n falling everywhere

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2013, 11:18:00 pm »
Dave, the walmart here sells them in packs of 10 I think.  Our lowes used to but now they switched to single stakes.