Author Topic: Interested in bow building  (Read 7895 times)

NorthShore

Interested in bow building
« on: October 20, 2007, 02:07:31 pm »
I've never built a bow before,but I'm going to try it it sometime this winter.I got a whole bunch of questions.How do you determine what length the bow should be?What determines the draw weight?How long should your wood dry after being cut?How do you put backing on a bow and what can you make it out of?

Offline DanaM

Re: Interested in bow building
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 02:48:19 pm »
Welcome to the Primitive Archer website. I would suggest at a minimum that you read thru some of
the older posts on here. But you really need a good book I would suggest Paul Comstocks "A Bent Stick" or "Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol 1"
Also check these sites out.

http://residents.bowhunting.net/sticknstring/brdbows.html

http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html

Do some research first it would take forever to answer your questions we will gladly help you along.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Beleg813

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 03:41:56 pm »
I've never built a bow before,but I'm going to try it it sometime this winter.I got a whole bunch of questions.How do you determine what length the bow should be?What determines the draw weight?How long should your wood dry after being cut?How do you put backing on a bow and what can you make it out of?

These are all terrific questions NorthShore..but as Dana suggested it would take many long pages to answer those questions. If you are looking for something specific I would suggest using the search function...unless it's completely un-heard of covering new ground sorts of things more than likely someone has already asked about it. Welcome to Primitive Archer :) You'll find all the information and even extremely helpful links to everything you could ever want to know, and 10x more!

And, if they haven't then great! perhaps if you find a question(s) that has yet to be answered then bring it to the post so that we all can learn from some of the old (in a good way :P), experienced, bowyers on this site, finest bunch o' knowledgeable helpful folks I've ever met.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 03:47:56 pm »

This is just my advice, but I'd go for a simple D bow for your first. The require much less tillering than a sitff handled bow( cut it to width, then a nice straight, slight taper( 1/8"-1/4") from the handle to the tips will weild a graceful ")" profile). Generally, for a 28" draw it should be 66" and for every inch under that draw, take twice that off the limbs- and vice versa- for every inch past 28" add twice that. Generally, thickness deterines weight, but width to some degree (if you want a bow over 70#, it would be wider than a bow that is only 50#). 1 1/4" wide at the handle tapering to 5/8" or 1/2" nocks will easily yeild up to 65# with a little care (more if you know what you're doing). In that case it would be thickness. Most woods, if left debarked and cut to rough dimensions or in neat staves, will take about two or three weeks to dry in a warm dry spot. Backing can be just about anything, I've even glued on a strip of old sheet. Thin rawhide is always a favorite for "primitive". Simply apply some wood glue (TiteBond II for example) on the bask, clamp the backing ontightly at the tips, and wrap the whole bow with some string or what not to avoid air pockets and ridges.

NorthShore

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 04:15:38 pm »
Thanks.That answer my questions.What tools woild you recommend to start with?

NorthShore

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 04:48:38 pm »
How is sugar maple for making bows?

jamie

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 08:39:51 pm »
sugar is excellent material. im sure some will disagree but i usually build dbows and and make them several inches shorter than i am tall. 68" tall and i prefer a 64" bow. and a dbow looks the same as in english longbow in profile.

NorthShore

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 08:43:59 pm »
Is sugar maple better to dry with the bark on or off?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 03:12:40 pm »
Most whitewoods (stuff that doesn't have a distinguishable difference in heartwood and sapwood) dry quicker with the bark off. Maples are usally quick drying woods and it should be done in about two weeks.

As for tools, anything that can remove alot of wood, and anything that can remove a little bit of wood. One ofr the rough dimensions, one for tillering/final shaping.

NorthShore

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 08:35:29 pm »
Should a bow be backed before you start tillering it (I think that's the word)?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 08:46:24 pm »
If you're making a bow from a stave, it usually shouldn't need to be backed unless you accidentaly violate the back ring severely. Sugar maple makes a good unbacked selfbow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

NorthShore

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 08:56:43 pm »
Could you do a temporary backing with tape while tillering?Would this help a beginner not break a lot of staffs before getting it right?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 10:59:55 pm »
    Yes ya could use tape temporarily. But its like puttin' a bandaid over a cut ya cant see it and ya dont learn as much as ya could. Yer choice.............bob

a finnish native

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 07:50:55 am »
Most whitewoods (stuff that doesn't have a distinguishable difference in heartwood and sapwood) dry quicker with the bark off. Maples are usally quick drying woods and it should be done in about two weeks.

I have to disagree. I would give it 1 month to dry without the bark. this way you will be sure that the bow to be is dry enough, and will take no set due to the moisture content of the wood. It will take set from other reasons though.

Far East Archer

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 09:02:56 am »
HI northshore!
Welcome to the bowbuilding world! ;D
These are just what I would do if it was me so you can change anything you like and others can as well for I am no the most experienced one here.
Answers to your questions:
1.) Draw length is usually determined by draw length, Ex. if your draw length is 28" long go no shorter than 64" long unless you know what your doing and no longer than 72" because then you are just adding unnecessary weight. A good starting point would be 68" long.

2.) Draw weight is determined by how thick the bow is but not so much how wide, Ex. a board 2x wide is 2x strong but a board 2x thick is 8x strong. So the thicker the bow the stronger it is, but a bow must always be at least 1/8"-1/4" wider than it is thick for lateral stability. Also width gives you security, it makes the bow safer to handle the stresses on it. The width of a bow is determined by the woods density, sugar maple is good wood with a density of about .63. With a density of this you should make the bow about
1 1/2" - 2" wide for flatbows with stiff handles and 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" wide for bendy handle bows like D bows. Also draw weight is what ever weight the bow is at full draw, Ex. 44 pounds at 28 of draw or how most people write it 44#@28"

3.) After you find a good clean trunk, you can leave it whole if its small diameter or split it if its large diameter. Large is usually around 8" wide and above. I usually strip the bark off after I cut it because its easier than trying to shave it off later. you must put some sort of sealer on both ends such as melted wax, paint, varnish, lacquer or what ever you got. This prevents the moisture from leaving too rapidly which can make the wood crack. :'( So seal those ends. Some like to spray a finish over the entire stave after debarking but its usually not necessary unless you live in a very dry place or if your working wood that cracks easy like osage or cherry. Some people like to rough out the bow until it barely bends after they cut it down, this can increase drying speed in a safe way. This way usually takes a couple of weeks but drying it whole is another option which takes anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month or two. Whole logs take for ever if they are large diameter.

4.) A backing is not needed as long as you have no knots on the back of the bow or cuts. If its clean then you need not add anything to it. Just make sure when you take the bark off do not use any sharp tool unless you know what your doing. Simply peeling it off with your fingers works like a piece of cake. If you do plan on scraping it off, a good cabinet scraper is always good, just be careful not to go through any rings.

If you are not confident without a backing then I suggest you do a build a long with pictures so we can walk you through the steps.

Some tools that are good in making a bow are:
Hatchet- for getting the stave down to closer dimensions
Draw knife- can be used the same as the hatchet by working the stave down
spokeshave or hand plane- These can be used to get close to your lines after the hatchet or draw knife
Rasp (half round and flat)- Good for cleaning up the stave and can be used to get the stave ready for the spokeshave/hand plane after using the hatchet or draw knife
Scraper- This is a good tool to use when you are tillering because it takes only small amounts off slowly
Sand paper- Aways good for cleaning up and can be used for final tillering

Also a chain saw file is what most people use to file in the nocks of the bow, I prefer something around 3/16 diameter for the file.
Hope this helps, post more questions if you are still lost about something. :)'

Alex