Author Topic: Brace height wonkiness  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Newindian

Re: Brace height wonkiness
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 02:05:21 am »
Defiantly not an expert, but it looks like your bending to much on the left in the outer mid limb and have a fair amount of propeller twist
I like free stuff.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 04:09:06 am »
The central 1/3 of the bow is doingvery little... ok there's a grip there, but do you really want it that long?
Try my trick of holding a CD up in front of it, you may want to move it across to look at each limb separately if you do want a longish stiff grip.
It looks to me like you are in slight danger of ending up with it whip tillered or what I call square tillered with the central 1/3 not moving the a hinge in each limb and the tips pulling straight back (I'm exagerating to help explain).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 10:44:19 am »
Thanks for the tips, everyone. Del: Good point about the middle portion of the bow. Unfortunately, I over-estimated how big I wanted the grip when I laid it out, so it's stuck that way.  :(

And as far as the propeller twist goes, should I just scrape some wood off the opposite side of the twist to even it out some?
Warning: I am one of the men the Pharisees warned you about.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 10:54:53 am »
Don't worry about how long the string is. If you hit the brace height you want the string length doesn't matter.
 Looks like your bow is stiff towards the handle area. Bring the bend back towards the handle more.
 About the twist, feet the thickness of the limbs comparing both sides of each limb. The side that is thicker should be reduced.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC