Author Topic: First time sinew-backed Juniper bow  (Read 10193 times)

Offline Axel

First time sinew-backed Juniper bow
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:34:33 pm »
I live in Arizona, and I want to try and make a bow. I've always been interested in archery and I really would like to get into it. As of now, I have no tools, no wood, and no knowledge other than what i gleamed from a few videos and discussions over the past few days. The only wood In my area (I think) that I've seen that would be any good for bow making is Juniper, and I've heard that Juniper needs to be sinew-backed or it has a tendency to explode in your hands. I also wish to make sinew string for the bow, which I have also researched into (the best source was from Jackcrafty, so I thank for your information). I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction for this project, perhaps telling me a book I need or very good videos, specific crafting techniques I will need to use, what I can do to make the bow more successful, etc.

Thank you for any help that is given,
Axel

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: First time sinew-backed Juniper bow
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:46:05 pm »
Axel:  Chuck Loeffler is a fine bowyer out your way in Utah, I believe.  He makes some of the finest sinew backed Juniper bows you'll ever see.  He is a member on this forum and I believe he also has a website.  You might pick his brain some.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:42:44 pm »
Axel -  I am certainly not an expert at this bow building.  But I have made several, and I am just finishing up a sinew backed juniper (ERC).  If you are interested I could send you some pics via email - haven't figured out how to do pics here yet - new to this site.  Send me a pm if you are interested.

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:47:00 pm »
You should watch the full Ed Scott videos on youtube.  He makes some great sinew backed juniper bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Axel

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 12:38:51 am »
You should watch the full Ed Scott videos on youtube.  He makes some great sinew backed juniper bows.

I looked him up, all I could find was his interview?

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:58 am »
When out looking for juniper to harvest look for clean straight branches and use the top side of the branch for your bow...and yes sinew backing juniper is the best choice for it. You could also notch out a stave from the trunk as well. You can reduce it down to near bow dimension for quick drying seeing how you have no seasoned wood,and it'll dry quicker. Junipers dry pretty quickly. First go out and find some suitable bow staves,and worry about that other stuff later when ya get there. And post your progress and pics here and folks will help you along the way. Traditional Bowyers Bible vol. I is a good book to start with to help you understand some basics.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:51:03 pm »
Axel - pics sent via email.

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:54:11 pm »

There are full length videos of him being interviewed while he is making bows.  It is not a how-to video but still very cool to watch and see how he does things.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline AH

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 02:30:17 am »

[/quote]
Ed has a website, it's called Owl bows, i believe. Good luck :)

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 11:45:27 pm »
if you have little experience in building a bow, then start out with a basic design. no need to complicate things with sinew backings and strings, this you can add later,. if you find a suitable juniper with few knots and straight grain, you can reduce the stave toward the heartwood, but leave a good amount of the white sapwood to aid in the tension of the back of the bow. juniper is suprisingly elastic if it has some sapwood on it. once you get the basic idea for bow construction then you can add the sinew backing and string. no sense in making more work than you need. if you are worried about the bow breaking then do a rawhide backing, this will help hold it together, and is less time consuming.. on juniper it does better to have a wide flat limb profile, leave it thicker than you would think so you dont come in too light. knots are not a big deal if they are small, just fill them with superglue, it does well with steam or heat for recurves or to straighten a stave. you also dont need to worry about following a growth ring in the sapwood. cant wait to see your progress.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 01:17:12 am »
A short sinew backed juniper bow would be a big bite for a first project! Advanced stuff.

Offline Axel

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 01:22:15 am »
A short sinew backed juniper bow would be a big bite for a first project! Advanced stuff.
I have a tendency to jump into the harder stuff first  :D

Offline Axel

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 01:24:48 am »
if you have little experience in building a bow, then start out with a basic design. no need to complicate things with sinew backings and strings, this you can add later,. if you find a suitable juniper with few knots and straight grain, you can reduce the stave toward the heartwood, but leave a good amount of the white sapwood to aid in the tension of the back of the bow. juniper is suprisingly elastic if it has some sapwood on it. once you get the basic idea for bow construction then you can add the sinew backing and string. no sense in making more work than you need. if you are worried about the bow breaking then do a rawhide backing, this will help hold it together, and is less time consuming.. on juniper it does better to have a wide flat limb profile, leave it thicker than you would think so you dont come in too light. knots are not a big deal if they are small, just fill them with superglue, it does well with steam or heat for recurves or to straighten a stave. you also dont need to worry about following a growth ring in the sapwood. cant wait to see your progress.
thanks.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 01:33:57 am »
HOLY COW DAVE IS ALIVE..LOL...there is some good info on here..i would do what hawk and dave said..i found out from keenan and he showed me that if you get GOOD size limbs (4'') or bigger that you will get a good ratio of heart and sap wood..western juniper is the best..i would like to find out about the reducing of wood down to bow stave..i know wood drys out fast that way BUT does juniper tend to twist and check when reduced down that much...that is my question....i finish up a juniper bow not to long ago..i might have to post it some time..john

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:22 am »
yes, John I am alive ;D getting the bug to start building stuff again, been a busy year. you are right juniper will twist and check if you reduce too soon. let the stave dry for a while before reducing. even then checks can develop, but once it is reduced down to bow size, filling those with CA  glue seems to work well. depending on the draw length Axel wants, he may want to go a little longer than a west coast style bow, maybe 64" or so.