Author Topic: opinions..best wood for bow..and how know who's a reputable builder...  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
hey guys,,well was lucky enough to go to Alafia Vous in Fl. and unlucky enough to break..another bow..that's 3 in 18 months. all were recent builds, this one was my holmegaard..saddened me! (this after I missed shootoff for new gun by 1 point, hit 200 yd bear on practice shoot then gun fell bending front site..still tied for 2nd..then found my good primitive shirt was torn so bad it should be destroyed..this was all same day..then I broke..open a 6 pack!) okay, anyway been hearing Osage is best wood for bow. anyone have opinions? I know wood bows will do can break..but I'm only one I've seen do it! guess I best start listening to those in the know.. I don't have alot of money..much at all really but best I spend on a good bet rather than lil bit at a time..and how do you know or tell a good builder or good bow..hard question for sure but appreciate any comments or opinions on what to look for..haven't been in this long but hunted all bow season with primitive bow..really enjoy shooting too but this silencing the crowd with one loud crack is getting very depressing..appreciate any comments  !  Thanks!  Rc
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline RyanY

Re: opinions..best wood for bow..and how know who's a reputable builder...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:39:21 pm »
Some of us on here have some opinions about what the best bow wood is.  ;D Really it depends on what you're looking for. You can make great bows out of just about any bow wood but it sounds like you want something that will give you a little more room for error. Osage can definitely take it but hickory is just about unbreakable as a stave and slightly less so in boards. As for the builder quality part that's hard to say. The best way to know would be to shoot their bows. Sometimes you'll see bows that look great and don't shoot well or don't have the lasting power. Other times you'll see bows that aren't as pretty but shoot great and will last a lifetime. Ask for the opinions of others and do research. You'll probably get a pretty good idea of what you want to know.

Offline osagejack

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45:02 pm »
its not so much the type of wood but the way the bow is made osage and hickory are a good place to start but lots of woods will work 

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:49:26 pm »
I've just about decided that durability wise Ipe backed bamboo is the toughest combination of natural materials. Cant say its the fastest, but in terms of strength it seems best.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:03:03 pm »
As you know any wood can break for no apparent reason and at any time.  I was shooting my first-ever-bow today and I was thinking, "i can't believe this thing hasn't broke yet".  I've shot it alot and it has flat spots, cracks, knots, and nicks in the back.  It has served me well and if I had to shoot an apple off someone's head I would use this bow.  It is osage and I have two others of osage that are similarly trustworthy.
I have a 46" vinemaple hack-job that I pull as hard as I can and it springs back without issue.   Also a 56" parallel vinemaple that I originally built for stress testing and it too lives and shoots well.  Those are my two choices but I've only used a small percentage of the best woods out there.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »
I've just about decided that durability wise Ipe backed bamboo is the toughest combination of natural materials. Cant say its the fastest, but in terms of strength it seems best.

I prefer to back my ipe with boo ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline VicNova

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:21:36 pm »
Start with hickory, that stuff if hard to break and makes a great hunting bow.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:57:16 pm »
Everybody's got a different take, do not underestimate ironwood (guess it's called hop-hornbeam around here) It's as tough and forgiving as ANY wood and should be readily available in your neck of the woods. I've built a lot of bows from it and they are all shooting well.....but remember that my bows are not looked upon very well so take the recommendation with a grain of salt.
rich

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:27:08 pm »
I'm no pro bow builder...but i'm enjoying the versatility of hackberry , just have to get used to a tendency towards set.
have only worked hackberry, persimmon, tree of heaven, and hickory - thats what grows here on the property.
but i'm eyeing some white oak, winged elm, and red oak and after what i heard here might even try sassafras.

for all the great things I've heard about hickory,and i've only made three,
none survived, each cracked, even from the tiniest pinholes...but it might be from my inexperience.
I'd suggest hackberry ,it can be bent dry easily,  and it grows everywhere.

I've even reflexed some two year old hackberry bows , retillered them and they're snappier and have a lot less set.
and i've learned to always use a stringer... i think i cracked two nice bows by pressure from my knee.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 10:32:43 pm »
.....but remember that my bows are not looked upon very well so take the recommendation with a grain of salt.
rich

Says you...   ::) I'm pretty sure everybody looks well on your bows or if some idiot hasn't then they've been drowned out by the rest of us.

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 10:36:20 pm »
Interesting ,, thanks!  heard.........bamboo is not primitive as far as use in early America,.Pre 1840  not that many check,,most Vous are, as long as it's not glass or metal your good to shoot..The Holmegaard I had..........had hard maple limbs and was the smoothest draw I ever done,,not sure if it was the wood or bow design..
wish I had the patience, and the tools to make one,,talent be good too lol... i'll jus keep searchin and asking and looking  see what comes up..hmm ironwood,,not a bad idea,jus the name would help!  thanks!
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 11:05:04 pm »
.....but remember that my bows are not looked upon very well so take the recommendation with a grain of salt.
rich

Says you...   ::) I'm pretty sure everybody looks well on your bows or if some idiot hasn't then they've been drowned out by the rest of us.

+1

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 11:37:08 pm »
Lots of "good" bow woods out there.  IMO - The best ones are the ones you can get.  Many will of course vote Osage.  I have had luck with ash, hickory, mulberry, hackberry, juniper, and Osage.  My favorite to date is an ash that I made.  Sure that will change, I am still new to this stuff!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 12:17:02 am »
Of course been on the west coast, I have to mention good ole Yew. I have yet to get any but hopefully in the near future as well as Ocean Spray, Vine Maple and Choke Cherry which are also native species on the Wet Coast....
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 02:00:30 am »
but remember that my bows are not looked upon very well so take the recommendation with a grain of salt.
rich

lol? Every bow you make is absolutely superb.  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair